Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
if not a ford or r1 why bother
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know whats wrong? but when im starting off in 1st the chain feels like it is skipping a couple teeth, also in 2nd aswell. This happens when i start off normal then punch it, in both gears. 3rd and up are fine. when it does this the bike has that jerking feel , i though it was the chain and sprockets but i have a new chain from rk that is good, but did'nt change the sprockets at the same time. the guy at the shop says the front tooth is bad, but that isnt the problem he says its the tranny, and basicly prepare to spend a $1000+. has anyone had similar problems:eek: :dunno

·
Go Fast!
97 Posts
2nd gear slip is an incredibly common problem on early R1's. Never heard of 1st slipping though so it may be a different problem. he way you describe it as if it is missing cogs makes me think that at least 2nd has the common problem.

I have this problem and the advice I would give is not to force the problem to re occur as it WILL get worse!

Search "2nd gear problem" - you will find more info than I can give.

·
MAJOR SQIUD RIDER
362 Posts
I had the same problem but it coast me $800 in parts to fix. The reason you feel that jerk could be just a simple fork spring or your detent spring. Those are the most common things. On my old bike I hand a shift fork blow and also had my gears replaced because of the cogs on the gears wearing down. When the gears wear down they pop in and out of gear that is what you are probably feeling. The reason it pops back into place is because of your shift forks, which engage each gear when you shift. I had first, second, and third gear go out on me and just decided to fix all of them since the entire bike was taken apart. But get it checked out because you might have just broke a spring. Does it hold gear as you are riding?

·
Registered
401 Posts
it is possible that it is the shift detent spring, but if it is that, it will also be wearing down on the gear dogs (things that stick out of the sides of the gears and fit in the gear next to them, locking them together) every time it pops in and out of gear, so you want to fix this quick.

It is probably just the gear dogs, however. Replace the shift detent spring first (just a few bucks and 10 minutes of work) and if that doesn't do it, it's the gear dogs. You can also fix those but of course it is much more involved. You would have to drop the engine, take apart the bottom end, replace the damaged gear wheels and shift forks, include new crush sleeves or whatever they're called, and new primary shaft main seal, get all new gaskets, put it all back together. No careful measuring is involved, however, like there is on the top end, so it's easier. Just take apart and put back together the same way. I've read a bunch of threads on this subject over time. I seem to recall there being a sticky on it but now I can't find it.

If you really want this done right, you can get new gears and send them off to be undercut. I remember a place that specialized in doing this for bikes but now I can't recall. This will prevent this problem from ever happening again but possibly make shifting a little clunkier.

·
if not a ford or r1 why bother
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the bike does hold itself in gear, and would i was thinking about having the tranny undercut, because i heard it shifts a lot smoother not harder, whats the deal with that.

·
7 More Days 'til the '09 Debut
888 Posts
critical mass said:
If you really want this done right, you can get new gears and send them off to be undercut. I remember a place that specialized in doing this for bikes but now I can't recall. This will prevent this problem from ever happening again but possibly make shifting a little clunkier. [/B]
Do you remember the name of the place that does this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts