Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Track Day Checkers!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I've been doing track days for 6 years now, and am finally moving to racing in my local club! (desertroadracing.org)

I'm a fast B group/slow A group rider and have been on Q3's up to this point on my 2000 R1 (yes, a 2000..) They're great tires but after 4 or 5 hard laps I'll have to back down and let them cool a bit. I've decided to put on my big boy pants and step up...

I've found some used Woodcraft Gen 3 warmers and got a black friday deal on a generator. And now the big question - WHAT TIRES TO GET?!?

Here's what I have done to the bike over the years beyond normal maintenence:
1. Hot Bodies kit (ebay clearance)
2. Scotts Damper (used, ebay, sent to Scotts for rebuild)
3. Re-sprung front with heavier springs
4. Fox shock (ebay - used)
5. K&N filter, 2 Bros pipe (both on sale, naturally)
6. Ivans Jet Kit (He didn't budge on the price, but was very generous with his time on the phone)
7. Vesrah pads (paid full price)

That's it kiddies. Wish me luck and if there's interest I'll update this with my progress. Race #1 is January 17

2 cents on tire recomendations are appreciated...

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
We would suggest running Pirelli SC1/SC2 slicks or Dunlop slicks in 7455 as a good starting point, these tires work great with liter bikes. They each have distinctly different feel, so it's best to try each and pick the one you feel better on.

Congrats on the jump and best of luck in 2015. Feel free to get in touch if we can help.

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,853 Posts
^ that covers it. :)
I've run the Dunlops, lots of guys run the Pirellis. Dunlops have the stiffer carcase for more predictability, Pirellis are more flexible to allow for more feel. Choose your weapon. GL.

And please do update with progress!

·
R1 Forum Star
16,200 Posts
Do you guys not run 3 groups at trackdays? We run b, I, and a...if you are a fast b group rider, you will get your ass handed to you in a race..

That said, racing will get you to increase your speed and drop lap times like no other. The biggest thing is are you ready to be going into a corner and have someone come up on you on the inside or need to adjust your line some or go into a corner close enough to another bike that you could easily touch them. If you are ready for that then it doesn't matter how fast or slow you are, you'll be fine on the grid.

As to tires....what class are you riding. You can't use slicks on super stock.

·
Handsome
1,254 Posts
Pretty much the same topic going on so I'd browse through it as well. I use GPAs myself and have had no problems with them. I can see where people say they don't give feedback as they are stiff but they stick so you just have to trust them. At $379 shipped and they last a while I see no reason why I'd switch brands anytime soon.

I was upper intermediate when I started racing and was definitely on the slow end in races but I've learned a ton from it. Like he said as long as you will be comfortable riding very close to people you'll be fine. The fast guys just go right around you as long as you can also hold consistent lines.

Chris I think they do A, B, C so he's upper intermediate, slow Advanced

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464794

·
Track Day Checkers!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yep, we run C,B,A groups. I Corner Marshall and so I sometimes have to switch between A and B groups depending on who I'm working with.

Our group is small enough that we don't limit to either DOT or slicks in any classes- I basically get to choose.

I've come across a lot of conflicting info on the webz. At first I was leaning towards a D211, but most reliable sources seem to say that the slick will be stickier and last longer as long as I ride hard enough to keep heat in it. I'm also leaning towards Dunlop slick just because the Q3's have always been good to me! Lots of the local fast guys are using Pirelli though. I'm starting to think its a no-lose situation so I'll just look for the best deal :)

·
R1 Forum Star
16,200 Posts
Yep, we run C,B,A groups. I Corner Marshall and so I sometimes have to switch between A and B groups depending on who I'm working with.

Our group is small enough that we don't limit to either DOT or slicks in any classes- I basically get to choose.

I've come across a lot of conflicting info on the webz. At fist I was leaning towards a D211, but most reliable sources seem to say that the slick will be stickier and last longer as long as I ride hard enough to keep heat in it. I'm also leaning towards Dunlop slick just because the Q3's have always been good to me! Lots of the local fast guys are using Pirelli though. I'm starting to think its a no-lose situation so I'll just look for the best deal :)
There is no rubber difference between the 211 dot and slick. And I'd double check the either in the race class because if that's the case run slicks. They are stickier and will last longer because there is 10% ish more rubber for the ground to contact with. Also they have the 200/55 size. Keeping heat in them is no different between the two and is also somewhat of a misconception. If you aren't riding hard enough to keep heat in them, they will be fine as you won't be demanding full grip at that pace either. The faster you ride, the more heat, the better the tire will work.

The only time "getting heat in them" matters is if you were to run at a beginner pace for 20 min and then go out immediately after and run advanced pace. The tires won't have the full grip available because they would have cooled down by that point.

I've never heard anyone refer to a race org as "their group". Are you talking about the trackday org because yes all trackdays allow you to run any tire in any group. I know of no race orgs that don't have limits on the different race classes

·
Track Day Checkers!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By "our group" I meant Desert Road Racing, not a particular race class. Sorry for the confusion. It's an organization that just started last year. Previously, folks in Phoenix who wanted to race had to head to Chuckwalla or ASMA in New Mexico.

There are different classes for engine size, but no distinctions on which tires (slicks, DOT, etc) should be used in any of the classes.

·
14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,287 Posts
Dunlop's for sure! I agree the feel is a bit less compared to the Pirelli's (I've ridden both) but you just have faith in the tires and they stick like hell! I can promise you that if you are riding intermediate/low advanced that you'll mess up before these tires do :fact

Keep us updated on your race progress and best of luck! :thumbup

·
Track time :flex:
14,730 Posts
CCS you cant run slicks on supersport classes, only superbike.

I ran Dunlop GPA Pro most of the year. Ran the med and they were melting too fast so switched to the med+

·
Track Day Checkers!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I decided on the Dunlop 7455 Med Front, REAR COMPOUNDS: 8477 Med+ Rear... because it was the best deal I could find. (Do you see a theme developing here?)

Anyway, the season opener was yesterday, and I took 2nd in Open Amatuer - I'll take it!:boobies

Next race isn't until March 28, so I have some time to tinker. I plan on trimming down my pvc throttle mod a bit - I need a bit more finesse so I'm going to trim the profile a bit.

I may have reason to switch to Pirelli's as well. The shop who sponsors my class (DTR Motorsports - you may know them from the "Chuckwalla Helmet dragging video) is a Pirelli dealer and pays out in store credit. There is also a good chance we will have Pirelli contingency starting at the next race!

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,853 Posts
Well, I decided on the Dunlop 7455 Med Front, REAR COMPOUNDS: 8477 Med+ Rear... because it was the best deal I could find. (Do you see a theme developing here?)

Anyway, the season opener was yesterday, and I took 2nd in Open Amatuer - I'll take it!:boobies

Next race isn't until March 28, so I have some time to tinker. I plan on trimming down my pvc throttle mod a bit - I need a bit more finesse so I'm going to trim the profile a bit.

I may have reason to switch to Pirelli's as well. The shop who sponsors my class (DTR Motorsports - you may know them from the "Chuckwalla Helmet dragging video) is a Pirelli dealer and pays out in store credit. There is also a good chance we will have Pirelli contingency starting at the next race!
Congrats! Sounds like a great start. How did you like the Dunlops? Curious, now that you've ridden them, what you'll think about the Pirellis, one you change. Good luck!

·
14,730 Posts
Well done bud.

I wish i could race at the moment :(

·
Track Day Checkers!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. Certainly no complaints about the Dunlop slicks, but then again I don't have anything to compare with except for Q3's. It was nice making it all the way through the 16 laps without having to check up for a bit to let them cool down and lose the greasy feeling!

I should have video shortly. Spoiler alert: At the beginning you will see a $20k plus ZX10 and BMW SS1000RR disappear into the background... Muahahaha

·
Track Day Checkers!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Good and bad (but could be worse) news since my last post,

Good news first - I have sponsors! a local shop DWN-N-OUT, and AXO are giving me help!

Bad new - Track day last Sunday popped my crash cherry. It was a dumb mistake on my part, I was just going too fast on cold tires on a cold track. Simple low side, frame slider did its job and the only damage to my bike was the rear spool getting busted off and the engine case getting rashed. I banged my ribs up pretty good and am still pretty sore. My new-from-christmas leathers are pretty hammered but I already had a new set coming from AXO, so no biggie. My Axo boots held up fine even though it was trapped under the bike for my asphalt surfing, but I've got a new pair on the way anyway. All things considered I'm paying a small price for a dumb mistake. Lesson Learned.

·
14,730 Posts
Sorry to tell you, but get used to it. Unfortunately the faster you get, the more often and harder you crash

Glad youre ok :fact

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
It looks like your fork is changing colors between gold and black in each pic. Must be the lighting. :D

Sorry to tell you, but get used to it. Unfortunately the faster you get, the more often and harder you crash
That must be why I keep getting slower... :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts