Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
almost ready to take bike apart, buddy called to go to last drag race of year... so hooked all nitrous up for first time this year...sad i know.. brought 2 2 lb bottles and one 10 lb bottles.. idea was to load it up with nitrous or blow it up. first time with wide band and nitrous.. never knew where A/F was with wet kit. i know that at 60% in progressive box it made 71 hp. first pass A/F on button was 11:1... holy cow... didnt have any different fuel jets for nitrous.. so starting leaning on map. still be i could get in short time was 12:1 safe on bottle should be like 12.9:1 or so. surpised it even ran. it would kill motor as i lifted off throttle...from overly rich. at 62 inch WB is was yanking front wheel off ground leaving line, spinning on down track. times were never any good..but in 1/8 mile it did pick up 11 mph on nitrous from motor pass. i did purchase a kestral 4000 weather meter.. it gives all kinds of info.. temp, baro, wind speed, wet bulb, heat index, alititude and it even gives correct altitude.. so with some of nicest weather all year here.. altitude was 2850 and corrected DA was 4400 ft... god bike wont run worth crap at my own track. why it runs .4-.5 better at good track at sea level. temps were in mid 70s to high 60s. well it didnt get close to blowing up and ended up turning start percentage down and slowing down progressive to get it to hook up.
did make monstrous pass on zx14.. god it pisses me off the bottom end power of that thing. left at 7500 and thru clutch going for 1.30 60ft.. but ended up with 1.41 going on rear tire. front end was up @ 4 feet in air. but supposedly there is guy with few tricks for getting more bottom end that works with brock davidson and runs an R1. so gonna take it apart or winter and try other head again and see what i can come up with. but in end problem in 1/8 mile with my bike is no bottom end and 330 compared to zx14. owner of 14 ran me first time trial and with him on it we ran .02 of each other. hes little heavier and not as agressive on clutch. trying to get him to throw clutch harder. he is in high 1.50 in 60ft. didnt matter what i did to nitrous, even leaving line off of it with rpm window switch.. it wouldnt pick up in 3.30s like what 14 was running.

again 2 most important times in running 1/8 or 1/4.. is 60ft and 330ft. that dictates rest of run. oh well time to take it apart and check bearings and such. 4 years on motor now racing.. so see what it looks like this time.

·
The One
582 Posts
That sucks your last day did not go as good as hoped so are you going to share the tip for more bottom end I could use all the help I can get. Also have you degreed your cams in your if so what numbers do you like. I now what it is like to get on someone else bike and make you hate yours. I have a buddy with a big bore zx12 with a big wet kit that has me jockey for him. He only weighs about 425 and is 6 5. The bike has a muzzy 1270 kit in it and a eight over arm he would like to see it well into the eights. Should be no problem if I can figure out the how to leave on a extended bike.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes ill post any good info i find. i had fun.. playing with differnt rpms in MSD digital window switch, progressive amounts and such. started off setting window switch to come on at 9500 rpm at WOT.. well it wasnt enuff.. i launced at 9500 according to wideband logging, but rpms fall as i slide clutch and then WOT.. so move it to like 8200 rpms, then it wheelied leaving line. so then i added like .02 of delay and same settings. and it still had flat spot from coming on. i wanted nitrous to really hit at same time as i was done with slding clutch.. thats when i wanted it to come on. even tried using just buttom to activate nitrous instead of rpm switch. all really showed me bottom line.. it needs more bottom end.. then it wouldnt effect when nitrous come on as much. time from 60 ft and 330 no matter what i did, i couldnt get any major changes. i had bike at 60 inches last couple years and added couple inches to be able to bring nitrous in faster..so it wouldnt wheelie like mofo. it was either lazy or violent leaving line. just wanted fast and smooth.. but it wasnt gonna happen. only way would be to change nitrous jets and put in smaller jets.. lowest i can go on controller is 20%(which is 20hp).. and it doesnt like 20 hp right at hit.. thoght about adding small 5-10 HP dry shot just off when clutch lever is released. maybe next year.

·
The One
582 Posts
So sounds like fun the my buddy with the zx12 is to cheap to buy a controller he sprayed with the 100 shot jets in it in second and it tryed to flip over on him( this is a guy that is 425 and 6 5 his street bike is a 04 zx10 he blew it up when it had 4,500 miles on it from riden 5 mile long wheelies) he is trying to controll it with taller gear which make it harder to get agressive off the line.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea progressive is way to go. u can tune it to go soft or hard. ive done it both ways. one pass set up ramp at 2.7 seconds and wheelie violently, next pass change it to 3.0 secs.. it was nice and smooth just like all motor pass.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea mines is motherf%%er to get to.. all lines run thru airbox and fuel tank is mother to take off with all nitrous lines to it(well fuel lines) almost have to stand on tank to get it to close with all stuff under tank. no way it can be done in few minutes.. more like over hour to do it.. but hell i have to know.. since A/F is that far off. hell i was scared it was too lean.. god love wideband.... never would have known otherwise.

·
The One
582 Posts
Ya I need one also but it will be the last thing i get. I have a buddy that has a turbo busa and another that had a 03 gsxr 1000 that has them and they both lover them. I thank that they felt cool pluging there bike into a computer after a pass.

·
Wanna try?
1,544 Posts
did make monstrous pass on zx14.. god it pisses me off the bottom end power of that thing. left at 7500 and thru clutch going for 1.30 60ft.. but ended up with 1.41

At least 64"?

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dunno nuke.. got just bolt on extensions on it. first pass on it would have been in 1.30s.. it was 1.43 on rear wheel. dumped clutch and was full throttle. and it lifted front wheelie immediately and carried it 4 feet high for little over 150 feet. or about middle of 2nd gear. then it came down. i think bike is between 62 and 64... its not allway out to 64... dont think.. ill attach pic of it. he bought it in florida.. drove allway there to get it.. paid like 6500 for it. guy was harley guy that bar hopped it. dropped it couple times and had body primered in many spots.. guy bought it is paint guy.. so he had it done.. its about to be lime candy green. all he did is buy brocks smeg, pc3, extensions, and muzzys digikill(which he hates). he has run it on mr9 but last few races he didnt see any reason to buy any for just playing. still has airfilter in it(stock) around here in west texas.. u cant not run one.. dirt and sand all in air. so different from R1.. easy to go fast.. R1 u have to work ur azz off to get 60ft.. and this thing is like cadillac... similar to busas... well u know nuke.. uve rode smaller bikes like fz1 and then busa.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.