Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Eat my dust
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys and gals
Soooo I'm doing my rear brake pads for the first time on my baby, an 03. Can't get one of the bolts on the calipers off, the one behind the Yoshi. I asked my neighbor to GENTLY break it loose annnnnd he strips it bald. So how do I get it out, is there a trick? Other bolt came out no problem. But even PB Blaster and a vise grip don't work. Now my baby's un-rideable :'( am I doing something wrong?

Besides posting in the wrong group sorry I'm new :sing:

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
Go grab your neighbor by the neck, make said neighbor put their teeth on stripped bolt and bite down. Turn neighbor by the feet.

No seriously, best of luck. You'll get it all squared :)crash) away

· Eat my dust
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go grab your neighbor by the neck, make said neighbor put their teeth on stripped bolt and bite down. Turn neighbor by the feet.

No seriously, best of luck. You'll get it all squared :)crash) away
this was my first instinct, I admit. I'm telling the guy, if it won't turn don't stip the bolt, and he's STILL turning the frigging wrench. I had to shove him aside to stop :chair:

· I'm an Englishman in WI.
33,912 Posts
Another alternative is remove the can and then hammer a socket one size or so down onto what's left of the head. Manged to get a stripped wheel nut off my truck this way and that sucker was tight.

· Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,239 Posts
Take the wheel off so the caliper comes off, easier to get at.
If not this, take the slip-on off, I think your access to the bolt might be hindered by the close proximity of the can. If you leave the wheel/caliper on, it's easier to get leverage on it with tools. Assume the bolt is facked and use the beefiest, grabbiest wrench you can get on it. If that fails, you're drilling and using an extractor. If you want to PM me your mailing address, I can mail you those bolts, I have a couple extra. Good luck.

· Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,239 Posts
Another alternative is remove the can and then hammer a socket one size or so down onto what's left of the head. Manged to get a stripped wheel nut off my truck this way and that sucker was tight.
Stop posting while I'm typing... To Ian's point though, you could file or grind 3 sides down a bit to get a smaller socket on...

· Klaus Von Slowpoke
6,239 Posts
Another thing about those bolts, they are the only ones I've seen that look more rounded on the end so you have to make sure the socket is seated all the way down to get good purchase. Next time...

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
I think my only option now is to take off the Yoshi. :dunno:

3 days from now if you see someone posting "Help I can't get my exhaust back on", you know who it is :banghead:
:lol That's what the forum is for. I guarantee you aren't the first and won't be the last.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.