Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I just finished putting an Next Undertail (from Graphic Art Moto Design) onto my '03 R1. All I can say, is WOW! I think it looks great! The fit and finish was perfect.

My question is though, whenever the turn signal is flipped on, it flashes rapidly. It doesn't bother me but is it a problem with the bike. That is, will it burn out the bulbs quicker or will I need to replace the fuse often because of it....etc.

Any help would be appreciated!

MotoFanatic!

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
Here is what the problem is. The reason it is flashing faster than normal is because the relay thinks one of th bulbs is burned out. It flashed fast to let you know. Now, LED's draw less current that the regular bulbs and that causes the relay to "think" there is a blown buld. So, in reality there is no problem :)

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
MotoFanatic, Welcome to the forum. :fact I have a sliver 03 and
put on the Next Undertail from Graphic Art Moto and I know what
your talking about. I freaked when I saw how fast it was flashing
and wondered if it would be ok. Well, I've had mine on since March and have had no problems with it. If you go with LED's up
front then you'll have to get the Libertek Relay because there
will be no resistance. Plus, with the Libertek you can adjust the
rate of flash. I don't have this relay because I have gotten use
to it and kind of like the faster flash. These tails look awesome
and I get lots of looks. Those little LED's are super bright too.
You don't have to worry about any fuses blowing out. Just enjoy
your new tail and get the relay if it bugs you.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the explanation Shadow One. And thanks Skeeter for the heads up on the relay. I think I'll leave it the way it is for now. I'm not PLANNING on putting LED's up front but you know how plans can change..... :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agree EL-12 relay from any auto parts store it is cheap and will restore the normal blink rate. Note my first EL-12 crapped out after a couple of months the second one i bought was yellow and said heavy duty EL-12 and it has worked fine for the last year.

·
Motorcycle junky
210 Posts
Mine are LED's front and rear.. They have been flashing fast for a year now with no problems... And like someone else said, I too like them fast..:thumbup

·
Liquid Silver `03
627 Posts
Clay, what leds do you have up front? rear?. I want to do an undertail this winter and do greggs flushies up front. My question is do I need a libertek relay? What does it wire into, front or back?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts