Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
U want some of THIS?
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All ,
I'm probably just a rookie on turning with the side stand. If you don't know what I'm talking about. It's when you turn your bike or twist your bike using the side stand (standing still of course). Your basically "twisting" using the side stand as support. My question is:

is there anything dangerous about this? is there a chance that the stand will break if you keep doing this? also, if your stand is bent, will that have an impact?

thanks..

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
I do it alot to turn the bike around in tight parking or to get out of the garage quickly. No problems yet. But if my stand was bent I'd replace it then keep doing what I've been doing. My stand ain't bent though so I'll just keep going until I bust my ass then come here so everyone can laugh and call me a tool.

·
Mike
1,167 Posts
:confused:

Iv never heard or thought of this. Do you mean that you stand to the right side of your bike, lean it over so only the kickstand is on the ground, no wheels, and spin it?

If that is what you mean, and it works, sounds good to me.

Ill have to start doin that.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
skinnyR! said:
:confused:

Iv never heard or thought of this. Do you mean that you stand to the right side of your bike, lean it over so only the kickstand is on the ground, no wheels, and spin it?

If that is what you mean, and it works, sounds good to me.

Ill have to start doin that.

Huh:confused: , people do it all the time here. It's really pretty simple once you get the hang of it. But you stand on the left side (side with kickstand) , pull the bike over to your hip and spin it or walk it around in a complete circle or as far as you want to rotate it. Once it's up on the stand it's pretty easy to swing around.

·
Professional retired guy
2,187 Posts
I brace the kickstand with my right foot so that it doesn't accidentally fold up. It's all about balance and confidence. The only problem I have had has been leaving divots in soft asphalt when I do this in some parking lots.

Me and the wife have been doing this for years and have never had a problem, if we ever do I am sure it will be pilot error rather than any mechanical failure. I have even had the bike fall off a rearstand and land directly on the kickstand (thank God I was able to catch the bike before it fell over.) It put a very small compression spot on the aluminum stopper block but the kickstand itself is just fine. They are a lot stronger than they look.

·
U want some of THIS?
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys :rock
i've been doing this for a while now and i find it quite handy and cool...lol.... i will replace the stand tho to make myself feel better that it won't break.

·
Motorcycle junky
210 Posts
I used to do it with other bikes that had thicker stands.. But I don't know.. The stand on the R1's is about as thick as a pencil.. I'm sure you can do it though... You know,.. I've seen people on rare occasion that had to carry a small piece of 2x4 in the truck to put under there broken stands... And the bikes weren't lowered either..

·
U want some of THIS?
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh..for those who haven't done it. it's basically what solidus said. put your right foot at the right of the stand and use your right leg to support the bike. you first lean the bike until the rear wheel is off the ground. you can then grab/hold the tank (i use my left hand to hold the left handle bar and my right hand on the right side of the tank). lift the front of the bike slightly so you can spin it around. i would recommend practicing with someone ready to catch the bike...:yesnod

·