Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother told me that you can put extra preasure in the airbox to gain 15HPs. What is he talking about?

Is it true and in that case how can this be done exactly?

Can I buy a kit?
How are the HP's devided over the register?

Need info!

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,671 Posts
What's that I smell??? Oh yeah, it's bull****. Best you can do with an airbox is chuck it and fit a ram air kit. Pain in the ass to set the carburation up though. Me and a buddy tried on his R1 and finally gave up, never did work real well. Besides no dyno can measure what hp changes ram air will give you so it's all speculation anyway (unless you can find a dyno that will give you a 100 mph headwind that is)

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Droog. I think I'll pass then. I rather ride the R1 and use the current 150Hp's as much as possible.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
Droog said:
What's that I smell??? Oh yeah, it's bull****. Best you can do with an airbox is chuck it and fit a ram air kit. Pain in the ass to set the carburation up though. Me and a buddy tried on his R1 and finally gave up, never did work real well. Besides no dyno can measure what hp changes ram air will give you so it's all speculation anyway (unless you can find a dyno that will give you a 100 mph headwind that is)
I smell it to,man that is a big nasty wives tale and he is right about the ram air,not worth the hassle. Go full Akrapovic,Ivans needles and there is 13-20hp

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Ivans need Twisted.. exactly where can I get those.
How much can those improve by themselves?
Do they increase midrange or just top end?

I got a MIG high-pipe.. is the Akrapovitz so much better?

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
Ivan is THE guy for tweaking the R1 motor. His company is Rockland County Motorcycle. He usually hangs out at the other R1 forum. I put his kit in my FZ-1 and it was amazing. Definately the way to go. The power curve was much smoother and I had thought it was smooth to begin with. It revs much better and really pulls. His kit and a Micron pipe brought the dyno up from 121 hp to 134hp. That was the FZ-1. I've heard that his kit for the R1 is even better.

I wonder what he has planned for the new R1 with the EFI. He has done some great stuff for the Hayabusa too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Lees Cycle in San Diego

Lees Cycle in San Diego has a one off dyno that has a hotel air conditioning fan that blows a 85-95 wind blast from the roof through 2 ducts to tune the ram air boxes.

We're actually developing a ram air box for the 929, and we'll do the R1 next. The 929 is easy to give out the PC tunes, the next R1 will be easy to tune as well.

If I made a ram air kit for the R1 (98-01) who would want one? It would come with full technical advice from the shop on tuning. $450-500. 10-15hp.... I'm going to start on wednesday with the prototype air box.

Roger

·
R1 xTc
244 Posts
I have heard of people drilling out the side of the air boxes to increase air flow. The V&M race bike in England has such a modification.;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was told that the delta box in the R-1 cannot be modified for better performace. There are better ways to spend money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts