Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
709 Posts
seem ok so far. pressures need to be a bit lower than the book to get some heat in them. First Bridgstones Ive used but on the street they seem pretty good. I'll be trying them on the track soon to know how they really are but some of the other guys have tracked them and they seem to work well. My next set will prob be back to Pirelli but who knows...might keep these?!

· Administrator
27,559 Posts
Considering you are spelling them as tyres, I'm assuming you are not in the US.

In that case, you're M will most likely come with Pirelli Supercorsa SP tires.

· 2ND is the first LOSER!
760 Posts
I had my M on the track yesterday with the stock BSTONES, Felt like I was on ice skates.. I am in the expert group so I should have figured they could not handle the abuse of high corner lap speeds.. I will be putting on GPA For next Saturday.. They work great on the street or maybe for novice track riding, anything at fast pace and they cant take the heat cycles....

· Lovin' the M
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had my M on the track yesterday with the stock BSTONES, Felt like I was on ice skates.. I am in the expert group so I should have figured they could not handle the abuse of high corner lap speeds.. I will be putting on GPA For next Saturday.. They work great on the street or maybe for novice track riding, anything at fast pace and they cant take the heat cycles....
Thanks for the info, I rode the 15 R1 demo with GPA's and it was solid, maybe a little slow front end but this may have been pressures.

· Registered
709 Posts
I actually liked the RS10 but I noticed that near the end of the afternoon I had hot tearing on the rear. I was running 30PSI Hot in the rear and I think with the track up around 47C I should have bumped the rear up to 32PSI or slightly more. At one point I could smell the tires and it was a weird plastic burning smell. The 32 F seemed ok but I figure I'll run 34F - 32R HOT next time and see if the wear looks OK

· Lovin' the M
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually liked the RS10 but I noticed that near the end of the afternoon I had hot tearing on the rear. I was running 30PSI Hot in the rear and I think with the track up around 47C I should have bumped the rear up to 32PSI or slightly more. At one point I could smell the tires and it was a weird plastic burning smell. The 32 F seemed ok but I figure I'll run 34F - 32R HOT next time and see if the wear looks OK
Thanks for the update superfly but my M arrived today and I have changed the rs10r's to the racetec interact k2's, I just need to find some time to ride it now.

· Banned
672 Posts
I did the first track day on my new R1M and also had problems with the rear tire. I run 32F and 30R cold and at the end of session there was a massive hot tearing at the LHS. Unlike in your case, the track temperature was only 16 deg C and still the rear tire was getting very hot even without pushing hard. I have used Bridgestones only on few occasions (and really didn't like them) so do not have a lot of data on them but it seems the sidewall in this one is very soft so they need much higher pressure to stop overheating. I have to say though that I liked the front tire very much. Stable under brakes and very good feedback.

· New R1 is my R6 on Steroids!!!
9 Posts
I ran the stock tires on the track on sunday, while breaking in the motor in the novice and advanced groups, destroyed the rear in about a 120 miles not at pace. Switched over to the Pirella SC V2 front and the Dunlop 211 rear- zero issues at pace in the expert group. this bike is AMAZING....

· Administrator
27,559 Posts
Just bought a set of Pirelli SC V2 for my next track day. RS10 rear slipped a handful of times during my last track day and that was at my slow ass novice pace.

Rider's discount has the SC V2 for $319 a set. Couldn't find another seller that was within $50 of that price.

· My R1 brings me life
88 Posts
I love my RS10's. I'm on my 4th set of General Replacements. No they do not last very long but they head up quickly and provide a ton of grip. I ride in intermediate/Advanced. I did have quite a bit of cold tearing. I'm wondering if anyone else has used Tire warmers on them to keep them good during the first few laps so this doesnt happen. And just to be clear the tires that come on the bike including the general replacements I'm getting are not the RS10 Type R they are just the RS10R for Rear and F for front.

Attachments

· Registered
709 Posts
I did two back to back trackdays on a set of Pirelli supercorsa DOT V1 in SC1 front SC2 rear and they were just fantastic. The 190/55 rear was a bitch to mount. I'll be using V2 DOTs next time in 200/55. Unreal grip and wear. Now I'll burn them out on the street.

· my genius knows no bounds
589 Posts
the bottom line on these RS10 things is that theyre an all around kickass tire but they wear down so much, so fast, that you honestly really may as well run actual proper race tires.

the RS10 is essentially a niche product, for someone who would want the max amount of grippiness in a tire thats still a legit street product. yes, even though they need alot of heat, yes.

in the real world though, any time the RS10 is good for.. something.. theres another tire which is equally good yet lasts longer or is cheaper, or both.

· Registered
33 Posts
I love my RS10's. I'm on my 4th set of General Replacements. No they do not last very long but they head up quickly and provide a ton of grip. I ride in intermediate/Advanced. I did have quite a bit of cold tearing. I'm wondering if anyone else has used Tire warmers on them to keep them good during the first few laps so this doesnt happen. And just to be clear the tires that come on the bike including the general replacements I'm getting are not the RS10 Type R they are just the RS10R for Rear and F for front.
If you're interested, I have a new set off my 2015 I could sell you. I do a lot of midwest trackdays, including BHF. PM me to hash out details.

· Banned
3,011 Posts
I honestly thought the RS10 was a pile of junk. I miss the old BT-002rs. you could run slow A group lap times with those. I only had the front push 1 time and I saved it with my knee. I ran those tires for 2 years at track days. the RS10 I had slip many times on 1 track day.

the RS10 doesn't even turn that great in my opinion.

I just mounted a set of their new S21 tires and these are bad ass. the turn in and corner stability feels like an actual DOT race tire does. I have them set at 34psi and was moving at a decent clip this past sunday and they felt great on the streets.

· My R1 brings me life
88 Posts
Ran the RS10G's at Road America. For those of you who don't know. RA is a 4.098 mile track with some crazy long straights, long sweepers, and a few technical spots. Up hills down, and off tilt. The tires performed amazingly. I feel if anyone is having issues with these tires you need to look at other factors. Is your suspension set up for you. I posted earlier I was getting crazy tearing and couldn't figure out the PSI. Well it wasn't PSI related it was all my suspension. I thought I set up the SAG and the rest up correctly. I did it when the bike was completely stock. Not dropping 26lbs and also me losing a ton of weight. I had the suspension set up by a professional and now the bike performs even better and the tires are phenomenal to say the least. I didn't end up using the tire warmers at all because I didn't really need to. They heated up before turn 4 and by turn 5 I was all the way over. I even dragged my elbow in the carousel for the first time in my life. I also dropped a whooping 4.3 seconds off my lap times because of the corner speed I could carry. I was able to push the bike on the front and back straight to 174mph. If you aren't used to sticky tires OR if you are looking for longer life fine. But dont say these tires are junk because they are the furthest from that. Like I said. Check PSI first. Then if you are still "slipping" which if you have your electronics on you shouldn't feel in the first place then get your suspension checked. Makes a world of a difference on any bike. But on this... It makes it unstoppable.

· Banned
3,011 Posts
Ran the RS10G's at Road America. For those of you who don't know. RA is a 4.098 mile track with some crazy long straights, long sweepers, and a few technical spots. Up hills down, and off tilt. The tires performed amazingly. I feel if anyone is having issues with these tires you need to look at other factors. Is your suspension set up for you. I posted earlier I was getting crazy tearing and couldn't figure out the PSI. Well it wasn't PSI related it was all my suspension. I thought I set up the SAG and the rest up correctly. I did it when the bike was completely stock. Not dropping 26lbs and also me losing a ton of weight. I had the suspension set up by a professional and now the bike performs even better and the tires are phenomenal to say the least. I didn't end up using the tire warmers at all because I didn't really need to. They heated up before turn 4 and by turn 5 I was all the way over. I even dragged my elbow in the carousel for the first time in my life. I also dropped a whooping 4.3 seconds off my lap times because of the corner speed I could carry. I was able to push the bike on the front and back straight to 174mph. If you aren't used to sticky tires OR if you are looking for longer life fine. But dont say these tires are junk because they are the furthest from that. Like I said. Check PSI first. Then if you are still "slipping" which if you have your electronics on you shouldn't feel in the first place then get your suspension checked. Makes a world of a difference on any bike. But on this... It makes it unstoppable.
well, I did use them at Mid-ohio. which is known to be a temperamental track. it can change from one hour to the next. (which is why I think motoamerica quit going there) I felt the front push many times in a few places. I also didn't like how the tire got to a point then fell over. these were the stock tires however. maybe slightly different than a set from the store.
I've ran many race tires and other tire types. that's where I based my opinion. I just didn't like the RS10. however, I am a bridgestone fan and choose to use them over anything.

my brother runs the R10 on his race bike and said they're very good. he races wera with them. I have a set of them in my basement but the rear is only a 180. so I can't try it. and I also have a set of michelin power slicks I've yet tried.
but I've always used bridgestone dot race tires in the past and can honestly say, no street tire compares to a race tire feel. especially the RS10

· My R1 brings me life
88 Posts
Let me know how you like the michilin's. I have hear a LOT of stories from Mid Ohio. And yeah the one thing that does happen with the RS10's is the drop off. I hit once and now I know where the line is so I just lean further. It's always down to personal preference. What I was more referring to is 85%+ of people won't be able to push them to their extent. They just hate them because they don't bother to use them properly. They are particular with PSI and suspension settings. Along with working in the optimum temp. But when the settings are perfect the tires are amazing!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.