Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an undertail and finally got around to putting it on. My problem is the 6 stock rivets they say to put in aren't long enough.The pin won't push all the way in.Has anybody else had this problem?Does anybody have a remedy for me?Oh yeah my bike is a 98 R1.

· Registered
261 Posts
dont know if its anything like my 03's but some of them felt "short" but it was because the angle was wrong on the tab and the two tabs didnt sit flat. I ended up getting a long screwdriver in from the top in order to push the tab on the rear fairirng down at the same time I pushed the undertail up. good thing it was only like that for 2 of the 6. dont think i could reach the other ones.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
post a picture....
where in Canada are you????

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought it off ebay from some guy called pimpundertails.Emailed him last night and he said trying filing it down.Don't think it will work because the autobody shop cleared it 4 times so it is fairly thick.Tried it before it was painted and had trouble getting the rivets pushed in also but with a little work i got 5out of 6 pushed in.Unfortuneately don't have a digital camera to send pics.I live in Regina, Sask.

· shoot first and shoot fast
3,643 Posts
A friend of mine had the same problem with his 03 R1. He solved the problem by buying a some longer replacement black plastic push rivets at a hardware store. They worked perfectly. Hope that helps.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
keep us updated...
and get a camera...... hahaha

· NESBA #65
361 Posts
I know there were some undertails on ebay awhile back that weren't fitting up to good, i Bought a eurotail for my 98 and it was hard as hell to get all the rivets in i had to use a screw driver and hold the tab on the tail from the inside and then push like hell from the outside to get them in right. Good luck :thumbup

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem solved!Went to GM dealership and they had an assortment of plastic rivets in back.If anybody else has this same problem go to a dealership they have everything.Tkanks everyone for your input.

· Registered
24 Posts
i bought a 'dassult STYLE' undertail off ebay for my 98 and it was SO messed up i had to do some SERIOUS fiberglass work to get it to fit at all.. and its still not perfect.

lesson learned.. ebay is NOT a good place to buy things that are not 'officially' a brand name..

· The Original Bad Ass!
262 Posts
I am having the same problem with my undertail from Pimpbikes off of ebay. What a pain in the ass!! Doesn't fit right, no instructions, Had to buy paint from color-rite.com that cost $75.00, I am getting pissed! I should have bought a dassault tail, it would have only cost about $40.00 more and it would have fit right and taken about 10 hours less time. Fork Pimpbikes.com!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.