Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just picked up a next undertail and am in the process of trying to install it when i ran into a silly snag. the little plastic pop screws under the undertail are flush so if you can't use a phillips to get them out how do you loosen them? any other helpful tips from anyone who has installed a next undertail would be great too.

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,538 Posts
carefully use a flat head screwdriver to remove them. You won't be able to unscrew them, so you're going to have to pop them out. Be careful because you can scratch your paint.
Start at the base, and just wiggle the flat head screwdriver until you get underneath it. Then, you keep prying until it pops out.
Very easy once you get the hang of it..

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
if you are refering to the ones that dont have a phillips cross in them, just push the centerin. This will release them, then after removing them pull the center out by hand b4 you reinstall, so that once installed all you have to do is push them in slightly so that they are flush.
If you are referring to the ones with a phillips head, lightly turn them CCW, and they will release just like a quarter turn Dzus fastener, then you can remove them by hand.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
220 Posts
andy green,

I just installed the Next Undertail myself and had the same issue. If you already have your passenger seat and rider seat removed, you should be able to reach in and push the center of the pop screw out. A couple of them I had problems with but with a little patience and wiggling, they all eventually came out. Start with the easiest ones first. Once the easiest ones are off, this should give a little more freedom to get the other ones off.

Hope this helps and good luck! You'll love the undertail. I can't stop looking at it!! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts