Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed my left fork tube is sitting about 1mm lower than the right.
Is this common/normal.. I will be taking the front wheel off to check the axle bolt alignment this weekend

·
Super Moderator
24,167 Posts
Make them even, starting at the top. Once even, tighten the upper triple pinch bolts and clip on bolts. Then tighten the right side middle triple clamp, and then the axle and pinch lower pinch bolts. Spin the front wheel and grab the front brake quickly. Repeat a time or two and then tighten the middle left pinnch bolts. Check all pinch bolts and see how everything lines up.

·
Rubber side down
3,269 Posts
Hey dan when where ya gunna call me back lol...sorry I have trierd to call you either but its been crazy around here even more so with the holidays... I have all the forks off and ready lets plan on shipping them to you on dec 2nd

Ps do whatever dan says he is the suspension MAN!

not trying to thread jack lol.sorry

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
It's the one that says....
502 Posts
Is the axle installed in your scenario?
It's still possible with the axle... think...

Fork legs only move in tandem because they are clamped in.

OP, just lift the front end and loosen the triple clamp for the side you want to adjust, move it then tighten the clamps back up. Just what DanQ said to do.

·
R1 Forum Star
16,119 Posts

OP, just lift the front end and loosen the triple clamp for the side you want to adjust, move it then tighten the clamps back up. Just what DanQ said to do.
You are saying the axle has play in it then.

You don't want 1fork leg compressed and one not to make them the same. They are identical lengths.

·
Super Moderator
24,167 Posts
Hey dan when where ya gunna call me back lol...sorry I have trierd to call you either but its been crazy around here even more so with the holidays... I have all the forks off and ready lets plan on shipping them to you on dec 2nd

Ps do whatever dan says he is the suspension MAN!

not trying to thread jack lol.sorry

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'll try to call tonight. Been hella busy :fact

:bow

I see it often. Triple clamps are not tightened, and one fork slides up while the other compresses slightly.

·
R1 Forum Star
16,119 Posts
I'll try to call tonight. Been hella busy :fact

:bow

I see it often. Triple clamps are not tightened, and one fork slides up while the other compresses slightly.
true if a fork is compressed and the other isn't...

All other cases something is bent...

·
1290!
8,575 Posts
I had one fork tube sitting about a mm or so higher than the other on my Ape... and nothing was/is bent. Personally I think it was just typical Italian assembly (read they were likely drunk and perving on their Monica Bellucci look alike QC manager as she bent over to tighten the strap on her stiletto, forcing cleavage out of her lacy blouse).

:dunno

·
WERA #9
519 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts