Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
---
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my chain last night with the rear up on a stand, I started the motor and put it in 1st gear, then proceeded to hold a cloth against the moving chain. As the chain ran over my hand I felt with each revolution a sort of bump - but with the motor off turning the wheel by hand everything seemed fine.

The 'bump' felt like how the chain may feel if there was some crap stuck in one of the links. I've ridden about 13,000 km on this chain and have kept it very clean the whole time. Any ideas?

·
Drop a gear and Disappear!
1,922 Posts
chain binding time to replace

·
chicken strips w honey mustard
1,220 Posts
sounds like the master link rivets...

·
Registered Adrenaline Junkie
2,490 Posts
Hate to say this. You sound like a dumbass., Don't ever clean your chain like this. You will slip one day and loose your hand.
:fact :iamwithst You're a fool... Dont ever do that again, do it by hand with the rag...

Someone should put up the link to the thread where the guy lost his fingers doing this last year...:saw:

·
chicken strips w honey mustard
1,220 Posts
Thanks for the fast responses, I guess I'll be looking at a replacement.

If the bump turns out to be the master link rivets, the chain may be in fine shape. Good advice too, don't ever get your hands near a chain that's spinning. I know the fellow who lost parts of his fingers. Not good...

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
Hate to say this. You sound like a dumbass., Don't ever clean your chain like this. You will slip one day and loose your hand.
:fact :iamwithst You're a fool... Dont ever do that again, do it by hand with the rag...

Someone should put up the link to the thread where the guy lost his fingers doing this last year...:saw:

:iamwithst....I've heard of other people doing this as well. Never crossed my mind as a very bright idea :no

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
still a bad idea. Just means the wheel will stop with your hand only part way between the chain and sprocket.

It's like beationg off with a cheese grater, nothing good can come of it.

personally I would take a good look at the chain the the sprockets. Could just be an uneven worn chain (extremly common), could be a broken tooth on a sprocket, could be a piece of debris on one of the sprockets...could be a link coming apart...

Take 15 minutes and really look at it, even if it means removing a lower and mid and removing the front sprocket cover.

·
---
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to set the record straight, I realize my wording of the original post implied that I was putting my fingers in danger, but this was not the case. Even my supposed "dumbass" brain was able to determine how to do this with a very low potential of danger, certainly it would be less dangerous than simply riding on the streets with other traffic.

Also I wouldn't have detected this problem if I had cleaned my chain like I normally do which could have led to a possible dangerous situation in the near future. I will carefully inspect the chain at rest, in any case.

By the way, the danger was that I could lose my hand. I suppose if I had a prosthetic hand it could become loose, fall off without me realizing and thus I could lose it.

·
Registered Adrenaline Junkie
2,490 Posts
Just to set the record straight, I realize my wording of the original post implied that I was putting my fingers in danger, but this was not the case. Even my supposed "dumbass" brain was able to determine how to do this with a very low potential of danger, certainly it would be less dangerous than simply riding on the streets with other traffic.

Also I wouldn't have detected this problem if I had cleaned my chain like I normally do which could have led to a possible dangerous situation in the near future. I will carefully inspect the chain at rest, in any case.

By the way, the danger was that I could lose my hand. I suppose if I had a prosthetic hand it could become loose, fall off without me realizing and thus I could lose it.
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204630&highlight=fingers

Read on, smart-ass...

:no

·
My R1 Loves to Eat!
51 Posts

Sorry, but you're merely trying to justify and qualifying your mistake... It is a very serious one that should not be repeated. The bike should be OFF when working on it--no matter if it's a chain wipe-down or a front brake change. There is just no need to expose yourself to that type of danger, and as the post in the link demostrates, even if you've "done it that way for years" the potential for disaster is great.... It's too easy to spin the tire by hand as you spray on the WD40...

·
Road Warrior
720 Posts
When in gear with no load at idle, the chain will "bump" along with the power pulses of the engine; the chain is probably fine. A new chain can feel like this. To be sure, check the chain with the engine off; you say it feels fine. If you're really keen, take the chain off and check it out. Length of 10 links, rattling of the rollers, binding, sideways play are indicators of a worn chain. High mileage or abuse(sharp acceleration loads) should also tell you the chain is done. Watch your fingers:crash

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.