Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was replacing the front headlight fairing last night and I plugged everything in but this just doesnt make sense. I cant seem to figure out where this plug connects. Anyone have any ideas or have experience on where this might plug in to?

·
223 Posts
it go to driver side headlamp (yep)

did you disconnect anything from the fuse box (under intake duct driver side) ?

turn key on and see what not working

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything seems to be working normal. Hi/low beam and nothing seems out of place...Not sure if this was previously unplugged before I took it apart

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a little bit wierd because that connector goes to headlight, low and high beam (?)

To make things more confusing the cables in the corresponding connector have other colors...
pos 79

View attachment 1007931
Pretty weird that it works without that plug I would say. I just bolted everything back up so I guess we'll see as time goes on if anything is wrong LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
It doesn't look like the light plug to me. Don't they have 3 female plugs, one above the other two. There's a fitting like this on my 98, right side under the wiring cover. Goes nowhere.

·
R1.. The fast kind
784 Posts
There's a fitting like this on my 98, right side under the wiring cover. Goes nowhere.
That's something completely different, the connector on the 98-99, under the right side fairing, is for a remote switch to operate the, built in, lap timer.

Basicly it does the same thing as the select and reset buttons on the instrument cluster...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So after about 250 miles since I put the new plastics on, everything is working correctly still without that 3 pin plugged in anywhere. I think it was like that before I removed everything so I guess this case is closed?

·
R1.. The fast kind
784 Posts
So after about 250 miles since I put the new plastics on, everything is working correctly still without that 3 pin plugged in anywhere. I think it was like that before I removed everything so I guess this case is closed?
Great it works and thanks for the feedback but just to conclude...

The "mystery" connector are attached to the front fairing/headlight unit, correct?

There can't be that many cables connected to supply the Low/high beam (and eventually position/parking lights).
So how does the connector(s) supplying the lights on your bike look like, there must be some connection, right? ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
That's the control for your high/low beam shutters. One plug is in the harness that connects your odometer, and the other is on your headlights.

The beams will work while its disconnected, but your hi/lo switch will do nothing.

Get someone with tiny hands to fish out the other other end that you can't find.

Sent from my SM-A205F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's the control for your high/low beam shutters. One plug is in the harness that connects your odometer, and the other is on your headlights.

The beams will work while its disconnected, but your hi/lo switch will do nothing.

Get someone with tiny hands to fish out the other other end that you can't find.

My hi/low switch does work correctly though...without that being plugged in.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Are your lights oem? Have they been modified to a hid/angel/demon eye setup?

There are 5 connections to your stock headlamps :

2x parking leds (2 pin)
2x headlamps (2pin)
1x the plug you're looking at.

The first 2 are direct 12v with no controls.
The second 2 will only ground when your bike starts. They've got a relay controlling them.
The last is the shutter in the headlamp housing.

Someone might have taken a connection around this plug, and gone directly into your housing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are your lights oem? Have they been modified to a hid/angel/demon eye setup?

There are 5 connections to your stock headlamps :

2x parking leds (2 pin)
2x headlamps (2pin)
1x the plug you're looking at.

The first 2 are direct 12v with no controls.
The second 2 will only ground when your bike starts. They've got a relay controlling them.
The last is the shutter in the headlamp housing.

Someone might have taken a connection around this plug, and gone directly into your housing.

Interesting....The lights were stock when I bought it about 2 months ago, but all I did was change out the stock bulbs to LEDs. Oddly enough, not having that 3 pin plugged in still allows the lights to function properly with the high/low beams.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well, the other part we aren't talking about is where the other end of the plug is. It's on the short harness that connects to your odometer. It's usually lying between the two relays on the headlight (turn signal and... I forgot what the other relay is for), just behind the odometer and under your windshield.

Look for that and plug in in anyways.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
5 Participants
Aikuken
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing