Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Jacksonville Jaguars Baby!!
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were on the expressway last night going towards home and we decided to try some roll on tests. (we have chatterboxes) anyway, we were both in sixth going about 55 then we took them to WOT. Buddy's '02 started to walk away!!!! waxed me till about 7500 rpm's. it was literally like 5-6 bike lengths from the time it took us to get from 4,000 rpm's to 7,500 rpm's. I knew the '02 had a torque advantage, because I knew my GSXR1000 was Waaaayyyy stronger at those low rpm's, but damn!!! he was leavin me! .... now....... we tried it again in fifth gear..... we were practically dead even.... Isn't that vierd (wierd!). Anyway, I thouht I'd share the experience. Maybe today we can test them straight up.... no roll on BS!!!

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,864 Posts
Interesting... I'm sure in a straight up drag race (1/4 mile or more), the new 04 would wax it...

- BA

·
Registered
536 Posts
I love my '02:bow

I guess an '02 would make a good overall bike where as the '04 is biased towards the track.

Maybe ur '04 isn't fully broken in yet :dunno

·
Tricks are for kids!
166 Posts
i guess all those years gathered for have the EXUP:bow the gixxer has a lot to learn, thats y i hate to have a full system u lose that mid range pull. my friend has a gixxer 750 and luv pulling them down low, other then that there always beside me! :rant

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
but damn!!! he was leavin me!
You dodn't expect something else, didn't you? The new R1 needs rpm beyond 6000. Try roll-ons from 6000 and see what happens...
I sure will miss that torque at low rpm, but you can't allways have everything...

·
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
1,238 Posts
Interesting.

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i knew...

I knew the 02 R1 would beat my 04 R1 in those circumstances.... I just didn't know it would be that bad. and I also know that the test we did doesn't mean anything for the real world of riding.... it was just fun to do. that's all....just fun!

·
My R1 Is My Therapy....
424 Posts
GUYS.....your forgetting some real important things here about the 04r1 vs any bike.......Short stroke motor needs more revs, which means taller gearing is killing it.....put both bikes in a gear where the revs are equal when taking off on a roll-on....like 02 in 6th and 04 in 5th......the rpms should be close and then try......If you gear the 04 down to equal the 02 stock gearing that will show more of what the motor is doing and show a more realistic comparison......

·
The Original Turbo
2,332 Posts
In addition to my Duc, I'm getting a left over 03, In my opinion it's still the best looking.

And that narrow tail section makes chicks asses look fatter. GREAT for Pics!!!!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Dragon129 said:
GUYS.....your forgetting some real important things here about the 04r1 vs any bike.......Short stroke motor needs more revs, which means taller gearing is killing it.....put both bikes in a gear where the revs are equal when taking off on a roll-on....like 02 in 6th and 04 in 5th......the rpms should be close and then try......If you gear the 04 down to equal the 02 stock gearing that will show more of what the motor is doing and show a more realistic comparison......
'04 motor is bulletproof, no doubt.

We're just looking at the overall package of both bikes, the overall design intent, and the final output of both bikes.

We all know the '04 has a more powerful motor. Only observing that in top gear acceleration from 55, the '02 takes off.

·
Registered
310 Posts
It's all in the gearing. The 02 was probably turning 1000-2000 more rpm when you both hit the gas. The 04 is ridiculously tall geared.

·
L8R2U
21,412 Posts
Thats a scary thought. Time for a gear change :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's not "all in the gearing." 1st gear is very tall on the R1, but the transmission has very close ratios, so I doubt there is that much difference in 6th gear (assuming both bikes have stock sprockets: do they?). No, folks shouldn't be surprized considering the difference in engine designs between these two bikes. The '04 motor is designed to be most efficient at high RPM. If you don't like to shift, the '04 probably isn't your bike (then again, either is any 4 cylinder - torqueheads should get V-Twins).

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,974 Posts
*yawn*

Trying the think if i've ridden my R1 below 7000 rpm..

OH YEAH..

when i first pull out the driveway..

in other words.. why dont you tell us what happened when you rolled on from 2nd to a full all out top speed run.. im sure thats more applicable to the way we ride our R1's.. or am I wrong in that we all get to 7000 rpm and stop?

·
pavement tester....
7,270 Posts
Hey guys, try taking a look at your tachs when you are out sometime just for fun. I'll bet you find when crusing around your are somewhere between 3 to 5k rpm most of the time. When you are in the twisties, most people I'm willing to bet are around 7 to 9k believe it or not. It takes a little more than just riding the bike to keep the revs up high, its a balancing act with a lot of factors involved.

Frankly, I find it more comfortable when just out and about to be in 3rd or 4th and have the rpms around 3 or 4k.

·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
update??

I'll give you the update when I can. We've talked today about going out and seeing the result of a full on race. There is a 3 mile bridge here that we can "open them up" on. I'll let you know tomorrow hopefully. We'll do roll ons in second gear up through top speed and see the results.

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,974 Posts
KneeDragger77 said:
Hey guys, try taking a look at your tachs when you are out sometime just for fun. I'll bet you find when crusing around your are somewhere between 3 to 5k rpm most of the time. When you are in the twisties, most people I'm willing to bet are around 7 to 9k believe it or not. It takes a little more than just riding the bike to keep the revs up high, its a balancing act with a lot of factors involved.

Frankly, I find it more comfortable when just out and about to be in 3rd or 4th and have the rpms around 3 or 4k.
Not to be hard on you Knee.. but you bought your R1 to use as a cruiser??

Not to mention I've heard most road racing schools make you tape up your speedometer, and tape up your tach below 7000 rpm..

you know i had to give you a hard time mr. racetrack.. :0)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think the only observation that nsxer was trying to make was that with both bikes in top gear at 55, the '02 is faster. We all know that the '04 is going to whoop ass above 7k. Point is that maybe if we start in second, and shift at 7k in both bikes, the '02 might actually win because it has a more solid lower rpm range better suited for everyday commute riding.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts