Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pick up my R1 Saturday after finally persuading wife that it is a necessity! (not sure quite how I got away with it, apart from the fact she has to have a new car).
Previously had a zx6r which I was impressed with, but!

Anyone recently upgraded from a 600cc to R1 ?

If so will I have a huge grin on my face saturday ? (well maybe after Ive put a few miles on it). Also how do they recommend you run in these days ? Any advice welcome!

· you can't have my last beer
3,583 Posts
Depends on how much experience you have. How long have you been riding? I rode an '93 F2 for about 5 years. Laid off bikes for a couple of years, then got a '00 R1. I thought it was going to be big deal, but not really. I got used to it pretty quickly. I've only had since Jan and I feel pretty comfy on it. You'll like the power. It's everything that I wanted my F2 to be...quick, light and powerful. I had the 1st two already. The R1 added the power I always desired more of. Just take it slow, break yourself into the bike. Don't try too much too soon and you should be fine.:thumbup

· Pimps Up Hoes Down
82 Posts
I have a 99 zx6r and The R1 is certainly an upgrade. The power and agility is way better than the ninja. The old one feels like a tour bike. I have relegated it to a commuter bike.

The learning curve is quick …as long as you pay attention to what you are doing.

It has 10x the fun factor.

Enjoy..I know I do
:beer

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had my Zx6r for two years, but went without a bike for a few years before that. ZX6R was a huge jump from the RD350 I had years ago. But soon felt confident on it.

I was comparing the Dyno charts for R1 and ZX6. The R1 makes more Torque at 4000rpm than the max torque of the Ninja. Nice......

Funny, I'd only ever had Yamaha's before the Ninja, and when I bought the Ninja it was only because I couldnt afford an R6 at the time.

Now I'm really looking forward to being back on a Yamaha.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.