Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sanity is Going Fast
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all i can say is that a full GRAVES system is the only way to go in my opinion. after reading many many threads about what to get (different brands, full system, slip ons, baffled stock pipes, gutted cats, y-pipe this, and exup removal that) i hands down decided to go with graves. it was a toss up between graves and termis at first. i loved the look of the termis but couldnt get over the hints of painful install and problematic ordering/backorders with termis. everyone gave kudos to graves with great quality and also customer service. out of all of the brands, it seemed to be that guys were turning some of the best dyno numbers with graves. (i realize its all a close comparison). and after having put the carbon cans on, i think they look just as nice as the termis.

i payed 1600.00 for the full stainless system with carbon cans and a pcIII with a factory loaded map for my 05. do your homework as i shopped around for deals. i thought that this was a fair price compared to everything else that is out there. i will be getting a custom map soon but this thing rips like no other as is.

installation was a breeze. all it took was the basic hand tools and a lil patience. took me about 4.5 hours to finish. and thats from the first fairing coming off till the last one went back on. the hardest part was tweeking the fitment of the pipes to ensure they cleared the subframe in the back.

all of the stock stuff came off easily. all of the graves parts were labled (header pipes especially) and there was no hang ups at all. it all goes together with springs so theres no problems there. its a very smooth install. even the most novice guy could do it.

and to clear up some of the basic questions:

1- you dont have to worry with the check engine light if you just leave the EXUP servo installed with the cables disconnected. the motor DOES NOT run all the time. it just does its checks during initial startup as with the stock pipes and then its done. this way seemed better to me than the money you would need on the other methods.

2- you can still use the passenger pegs with no problems at all. :lhumper:

also, let me tell you how many thumbs up i have gotten.....TONS> and all of my buddies said that it sounds deep as hell when you grab a handful and take off. it powers up the front end considerably earlier than before. WHEELIE MONSTER! i do have -1 tooth in front but thats it. it has noticeably more power for sure. it also seems to pull a good bit harder through the gears. feels like i go through the gears alot faster than with the stock setup (i guess it just revs that much faster).

it has such a smooth sound. i have never heard any better sound on an 05 yet (IMO). its real deep and throaty at idle-4000 and then screams under power through the rest of the rpm range. the carbon cans look badass. the factory heat shield (back rightside behind pegs) wouldnt fit on mine so it looks a lil better without it i think. i still have to take off the small bracket used to attach the factory heat shield (you can see it in the pics).

and i would have to say that the best part was the first time i cracked it about 3 times up to 9000 and then back down (sitting still on the stand) and the chick that was with me jumped because it shot 8 inch flames out of the back. (could be due to rich fuel settings with the generic map or just being a straight through setup).

pm me if anyone wants and i would be glad to give you any helpful info. i think that anyone who gets these will be happy as hell.

i will post up some pics as i get more of them and also some dyno numbers in the future to let you know what i get (i didnt get a chance to do the initial run with stock stuff). will try for a soundclip too.

GRAVES ALL THE WAY :boobies :thumbup :rock

Attachments

·
792.6 miles from the Gap
1,189 Posts
Looks :boobies for sure! And I agree Graves all the way.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
the cans look awesome. :thumbup the stock headers are ti and this full system you installed was ss. Isn't that a step down?

·
Sanity is Going Fast
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont think i gained any weight but a pound or two by having stainless. but i think that i made that up with the cat and exup removal. i dont think that stainless is any less than TI when it comes to durability. i was after power/sound mostly.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
i am talking about proformance wise. if you had the graves slipons and gutted the cat as your setup.

·
Sanity is Going Fast
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont think you get better power with slip ons but i could be wrong. havent seen any numbers from that type of setup. i would imagine that having the exup would restrict it some. all i know is that it is way snappier in all ranges of the rpm. even luggin it down and even at top end.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts
i dont think you get better power with slip ons but i could be wrong. havent seen any numbers from that type of setup. i would imagine that having the exup would restrict it some. all i know is that it is way snappier in all ranges of the rpm. even luggin it down and even at top end.

i'm just asking questions..bro. No harm meant by them. you bike looks :boobies and I'm sure it hauls. enjoy it :)

·
DJack
971 Posts
nice system!!:boobies

·
Throw Some D's On It
8,779 Posts
Nice

·
18x HP literbike killer
3,774 Posts
Graves makes a great full system for the money, even with the SS system, you lost weight, and in the longrun, Ti maybe a little lighter and look cooler, but SS is More durable...

·
Sanity is Going Fast
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i agree, for the money its badazz. and even the weight differences are prolly minimal.

"i'm just asking questions..bro. No harm meant by them. you bike looks and I'm sure it hauls. enjoy it "

i didnt think i was being a peckerwood in my last post above so i apologize to all if it seemed that way. i was just pondering the question by Klo1320

·
Registered
181 Posts
That system looks bad ass.. I been thinking of getting the Graves or the Akros... they both look bad ass... but why does your system look different then this one?.. These look a lil more open...

·
Sanity is Going Fast
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, i asked the same question. i was told that its just a newer style (i dont think there are street and race styles). (i was thinking more open would have been better). i got to looking and all it is really is just a little flange of metal that chokes down the endcap a little bit. i am gonna see if i cant cut it out. but not before asking some more info. i dont think it holds it back any cause it still runs like a raped ape. it would be more for looks if i took it out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
yeah, i asked the same question. i was told that its just a newer style (i dont think there are street and race styles). (i was thinking more open would have been better). i got to looking and all it is really is just a little flange of metal that chokes down the endcap a little bit. i am gonna see if i cant cut it out. but not before asking some more info. i dont think it holds it back any cause it still runs like a raped ape. it would be more for looks if i took it out.

It will definetly look better open, IMO...More race lookin... i might have to look into these now...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.