Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be in the market for buying a 2016+ R1. Problem is, why buy a used one right now. Everywhere I look I see used R1's for $16,000 or more. Hell, a new one cost that and you get better financing. What happened to the used prices? When I purchased a used 2007 R1 I bought it for $6,500 with 5k miles on it, 5 years old (purchased 2012). The bike was a 11,600 msrp, so about half off. Now it's 2022 the 2022 bikes have been out since August of last year, and people are still dreaming of getting $16k plus on a 2016 R1 that is now.... 6 years old. Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
I will soon be in the market for buying a 2016+ R1. Problem is, why buy a used one right now. Everywhere I look I see used R1's for $16,000 or more. Hell, a new one cost that and you get better financing. What happened to the used prices? When I purchased a used 2007 R1 I bought it for $6,500 with 5k miles on it, 5 years old (purchased 2012). The bike was a 11,600 msrp, so about half off. Now it's 2022 the 2022 bikes have been out since August of last year, and people are still dreaming of getting $16k plus on a 2016 R1 that is now.... 6 years old. Am I missing something?

The current used motorcycle market is inflated based on kbb and nada and availability. Unbelievable how value has gone up on used bikes. Fair market value is way more then few years ago. Some dealer prices are out of line for year mileage but people will pay so they apparently have a lot of suckers blinded by the light going where do I sign my name

·
Registered
157 Posts
The current used motorcycle market is inflated based on kbb and nada and availability. Unbelievable how value has gone up on used bikes. Fair market value is way more then few years ago. Some dealer prices are out of line for year mileage but people will pay so they apparently have a lot of suckers blinded by the light going where do I sign my name
See if you can get a good deal on a left over 2021

·
Registered
157 Posts
I mean for even 15k for used and no warranty I'll spend 2k more (17k) and get a new one with warranty. As a bonus I'll know it's been broken in properly.

If this helps any I paid 14200 100 bucks over dealer invoice for the 2015 but I work there it was not chaparral by the way so there is a ballpark on what dealers got the 2021 R1 on invoice. Powerhouse dealers usually sell with out the door prices and I recommend find a Yamaha powerhouse . But not to discourage you but I am going to be paying msrp for 2022 yz250x I have money down on it’s a popular model tho and was hard to find. The R1 is expensive to insure pricey itself and there is usually left overs I have good faith you could find one and get a discount and piece of mind of new machine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If this helps any I paid 14200 100 bucks over dealer invoice for the 2015 but I work there it was not chaparral by the way so there is a ballpark on what dealers got the 2021 R1 on invoice. Powerhouse dealers usually sell with out the door prices and I recommend find a Yamaha powerhouse . But not to discourage you but I am going to be paying msrp for 2022 yz250x I have money down on it’s a popular model tho and was hard to find. The R1 is expensive to insure pricey itself and there is usually left overs I have good faith you could find one and get a discount and piece of mind of new machine.
correction I paid 14472 which was 100 bucks over the invoice.

·
Horsepower whisperer
2022 Yamaha YZF-R1 60th WGP Anniversary Edition
1,839 Posts
Everything is crazy. ATVs, snowmobiles... I just sold 2 Yamaha Apex's for more than I paid 5 years ago.
Even enclosed trailers are sky high.

• Haha
Reactions: jsp1990

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no doubt on a new R1. I'm just astounded at the prices people are asking for a used one. Last time I paid up front for a year of coverage on my 2007 with $1000 deductible collision, $0 comprehensive, with $100k/50k medical, 10k/50k property is was $450 for a year. I'm not worried on insurance. I have good credit, not worried about financing /out right buying a new R1. But, why buy new when one used to be able to go out and buy a less than 5 year old machine for 40-60% off sticker? Now in today's market, you would be stupid not to buy new as for the reasons stated before. For the difference in maybe saving $3k on a used R1 you can have a brand spanking new R1, 0 miles, warranty, and better financing. I'll take that over buying a 4-6 year old R1 for $15k, 16k, hell I've seen $18k for a 2020 used R1 with 6,000miles on the odometer. Whereas I see on cycle trader (not even trying to haggle) $17,600 all day for a new R1.

·
Venom X/O
26,240 Posts
I’ll sell you my modded ‘15 for 17K. 5K miles, broken in properly, full suspension, lots of fun parts (subframe, button pods, two sets of race bodywork, exhaust, all street parts, extra race rubber, clip ons 😂

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no doubt on a new R1. I'm just astounded at the prices people are asking for a used one. Last time I paid up front for a year of coverage on my 2007 with $1000 deductible collision, $0 comprehensive, with $100k/50k medical, 10k/50k property is was $450 for a year. I'm not worried on insurance. I have good credit, not worried about financing /out right buying a new R1. But, why buy new when one used to be able to go out and buy a less than 5 year old machine for 40-60% off sticker? Now in today's market, you would be stupid not to buy new as for the reasons stated before. For the difference in maybe saving $3k on a used R1 you can have a brand spanking new R1, 0 miles, warranty, and better financing. I'll take that over buying a 4-6 year old R1 for $15k, 16k, hell I've seen $18k for a 2020 used R1 with 6,000miles on the odometer. Whereas I see on cycle trader (not even trying to haggle) $17,600 all day for a new R1.

Hear is an example of what I'm talking about. A used one with 6,000 miles and 6 years old is $15,400, the new one with warranty $17, 400. Hmm, I wonder which one I'm going to go for... 2k difference in a new R1 and a 6 year old one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ll sell you my modded ‘15 for 17K. 5K miles, broken in properly, full suspension, lots of fun parts (subframe, button pods, two sets of race bodywork, exhaust, all street parts, extra race rubber, clip ons
I'm sure you would lol. Hell if I could do that I would. But I'm not a sucker. I'll buy a new one for that put the mods in I want and only out the mods I want.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hear is an example of what I'm talking about. A used one with 6,000 miles and 6 years old is $15,400, the new one with warranty $17, 400. Hmm, I wonder which one I'm going to go for... 2k difference in a new R1 and a 6 year old one.

Chip away at that 17399 blow past those salesmen ask for sale manger play hardball now that you have a idea of dealer invoice. there is wiggle room

·
Horsepower whisperer
2022 Yamaha YZF-R1 60th WGP Anniversary Edition
1,839 Posts
If you want a new one and find one on the floor actually in the dealer inventory, jump on it.
Everyone is having the same thoughts as you are.
My new 2022 was supposed to be delivered by now and has already been pushed back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chip away at that 17399 blow past those salesmen ask for sale manger play hardball now that you have a idea of dealer invoice. there is wiggle room
That's what I'm saying. Even if I were to pay their straight up asking, not haggling I'm no difference from the guy a couple posts up wanting to sell a 2015 (with mods, because that'll up the price right? ) for $17k.

·
I'm going to be a dad!
557 Posts
At that used price you are better off buying fresh off the showroom floor. I told my dealer i wanted a crated R1 with “0” miles, i didn’t even want them to put fuel and connect the battery. Got a hell of a good deal paying cash.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Everybody seems to be jumping on the "Supply chain/pandemic" bullshit bandwagon imo! While there are some legitimate business/economic wrinkles that need smoothing out I think a lot of it is just greed and profiteering. There are some dealers near me that are marking bikes up over MSRP and it's not just sales. The service departments are gouging too! Last year my R1 was just under the valve adjustment mileage interval and I inquired about the price for the service. They told me around $400-$500 depending--this year I'm a little over (oops 400 miles over!) and asked again and they now say around $1000... SUPPLY CHAIN MY ASS What, the valve cover gasket went up $500!! BULLSHIT!

·
I'm going to be a dad!
557 Posts
Everybody seems to be jumping on the "Supply chain/pandemic" bullshit bandwagon imo! While there are some legitimate business/economic wrinkles that need smoothing out I think a lot of it is just greed and profiteering. There are some dealers near me that are marking bikes up over MSRP and it's not just sales. The service departments are gouging too! Last year my R1 was just under the valve adjustment mileage interval and I inquired about the price for the service. They told me around $400-$500 depending--this year I'm a little over (oops 400 miles over!) and asked again and they now say around $1000... SUPPLY CHAIN MY ASS What, the valve cover gasket went up $500!! BULLSHIT!
With that price youre better off buying a Ducati.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts