Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
I'm going to be a dad!
540 Posts
A used Ducati superbike is still probably trading lower than a used r1. They were in October. I looked again about a week ago and it was close, but the Ducati's were still a little cheaper.
There are still the ducati purist driving the prices up as well.

·
I'm going to be a dad!
540 Posts
That's as may be, but a 14 year old r1 bringing more cash than a 14 year old Ducati superbike is just not a thing I expected to see in my lifetime.
This is my opinion but the 14 year old ducs were trash.

·
Registered
'08 r1
2,016 Posts
This is my opinion but the 14 year old ducs were trash.
And the genesis platform r1's chew up valve guides. Ain't none of them perfect.

Hell, look at the value folks are putting on the k5 gsxr right now.

The market is nuts. I never thought a 2005 gsxr would cost more than a brand new liter bike...

·
I'm going to be a dad!
540 Posts

The market is nuts. I never thought a 2005 gsxr would cost more than a brand new liter bike...
[/

thats the power of social media.

• Haha
Reactions: 1202067

·
Registered
'08 r1
2,016 Posts
thats the power of social media.
This is true, this is true. But not all the inflation is from a video. Hell, my '08 is apparently worth double what I paid. At the time, I was worried I was paying too much.

For the price used bikes are trading at, you really are better off buying new.

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,747 Posts
Yeah it's a little crazy. I ended up getting a used 2020 R1 this summer, cause I could not find a new blue 21 that was available near me. Everyone just had black ones. I did talk the price down and it came from a dealer, like 3400 miles. It was like $16,700 ish out the door. But yeah Prices where up there as I looked around, and I was looking and planning for a few weeks. This one just happened to not be listed and they told me about it when I called about the new one that was listed, but had a deposit already. So I missed out on that. I would say if your not in a rush, just keep looking till you find something that's at the price you want to pay.

·
Super Moderator
21,685 Posts
Just have to watch the dealers. If they follow car dealers with their " Greed Fee". Jacking up the price of new bike a couple of K. Make sure you shop around and don't cave in to one dealers greed.

Reactions: matt 2381

·
Recall
87 Posts
I was talking about the valve service.
[/QUOTE
Just have to watch the dealers. If they follow car dealers with their " Greed Fee". Jacking up the price of new bike a couple of K. Make sure you shop around and don't cave in to one dealers greed.
the Yamaha dealer I have a down payment on my 22 YZ at has told me of a 200 dollar surcharge that could possibly go up under certain circumstances? Wild times. I would never chump out and let a dealer take me for a ride I would travel far to get a deal but I just want the bike this time. The super hot right now 2 stroke is a badly timed purchase but a 2021 R1 I still believe can be had for a good deal. 200 surcharge whatever when I am twisting that throttle!

·
Registered
333 Posts
The kbb reads as a dealer level bike, with low miles, no crash, well kept... At least where I walk into a dealership, I see clean looking used bikes, and that means paying somewhere for that floor space, being a loan to buy inventory. That's the kbb high end side.

But for a private seller to command that same number, and is not even close to a dealer buy/trade in quality level... Let him sit on it and hatch eggs.

·
Horsepower whisperer
2022 Yamaha YZF-R1 60th WGP Anniversary Edition
1,719 Posts
I sold my 05 r1 in August 21 for $7000, $1000 more then I paid in 09, looks like I should have waited and really cashed in. LOL
I'm hoping I do ok on selling my '03 R1 this spring.

Reactions: 1202067

·
Venom X/O
25,940 Posts
To be fair the bikes are only selling for what people are willing to pay. Keep paying high prices, price to stay up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will soon be in the market for buying a 2016+ R1. Problem is, why buy a used one right now. Everywhere I look I see used R1's for $16,000 or more. Hell, a new one cost that and you get better financing. What happened to the used prices? When I purchased a used 2007 R1 I bought it for $6,500 with 5k miles on it, 5 years old (purchased 2012). The bike was a 11,600 msrp, so about half off. Now it's 2022 the 2022 bikes have been out since August of last year, and people are still dreaming of getting $16k plus on a 2016 R1 that is now.... 6 years old. Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Try and go for a newer model as the 2016 dosent have an auto blipper. I've got a 2019 and i love her to bits. Auto blipper just sounds perfect and is smooth. Can still use clutch but its just like driving with a dsg gear box. Its so much fun

·
Registered
204 Posts
a local dealer offered me 11,500 for my 2015 as a trade in. they were more than eager to get their hands on it. they have like 2 street bikes in stock. if you're looking to sell now is the time. they said it's worth $1000 more than in 2019

21 - 39 of 39 Posts