Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· RU1WITHYOUR1?
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an r1 2009 and now an Ape2013 which is a V4 and runs hotter. I put 10w40 in the R1 but am wondering whether i should put another oil in the V4? Since the V4 runs hotter, should i put a thicker oil in it, like 15w50?

What's your POV?

THanks,

Jonathan (Miami, FL - it's hot here)

· RU1WITHYOUR1?
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Handyman, i was thinking about engine ice, i put that in the R1 and it cooled things down. Are you running stock coolant or did you change it to something else, or to Engine Ice? Also, are you running the race ecu with an aftermarket exhaust, or are you running everything stock, or stock ecu with aftermarket exhaust? thanks, j

· What's a newb?
472 Posts
With the 2013 all the APRC models you should be running 5-40. I'm using motul 300v. Race ecu and Austin Racing GP2R with standard coolant and works fine. If you want the coolant to run a bit cooler get rid of the Evap canister on right side. It probably will cool it by 5 degrees since it blocks a ton of airflow out the radiator.

Thicker oil won't make it run cooler since it's still 40w. V4's will run a ton hotter since the rear bank gets all the heat from the front cylinders and not much airflow to cool them. It's just a hot motor but it will be fine.

· Premium Member
239 Posts
thanks Handyman, i was thinking about engine ice, i put that in the R1 and it cooled things down. Are you running stock coolant or did you change it to something else, or to Engine Ice? Also, are you running the race ecu with an aftermarket exhaust, or are you running everything stock, or stock ecu with aftermarket exhaust? thanks, j

I'm running standard coolant right now since the bike is still new and haven't had a reason to change out the coolant. I'm running the OEM ECU with the Austin racing GP2 slip on without the baffles. I will going to the race ECU soon thought since it will help smooth out the power delivery and engine braking. I haven't done anything else to the bike mods wise. I will be looking into some of the standard mods that everyone is doing to see if the mods are something I want to do...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· What's a newb?
472 Posts
Every aprilia dealership can get the race ecu or you can order one from AF1 or it you don't want the standard one anymore you can send it to AF1 to flash it. Think it saves 100 dollars or something like that. But you need to go to the dealership to do the throttle learning anyhow.

· RU1WITHYOUR1?
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks HAndyman for all of that info. My RSV is also 1200 miles old so i'm just being prickly about details and heat, espcially in SFLorida lol. I hear you about the ECU, there's a M E G A thread on that on the apriliaforum with everyone going in different directions. I also have the stock ECU with a MIVV exhaust, hence no cat and no baffles, and though the dealer who sold it to me said it's ok, others state that the A/F ratios in the 7k range (where one tends to be a lot when not on a track :)) are too lean etc etc. So i thought that this might also be a factor in heating up the engine. How many miles do you have?
thx
j

· Premium Member
239 Posts
thanks HAndyman for all of that info. My RSV is also 1200 miles old so i'm just being prickly about details and heat, espcially in SFLorida lol. I hear you about the ECU, there's a M E G A thread on that on the apriliaforum with everyone going in different directions. I also have the stock ECU with a MIVV exhaust, hence no cat and no baffles, and though the dealer who sold it to me said it's ok, others state that the A/F ratios in the 7k range (where one tends to be a lot when not on a track :)) are too lean etc etc. So i thought that this might also be a factor in heating up the engine. How many miles do you have?
thx
j

29xx miles.. I'm picky when it comes to mods and changing things. I will research the mods I want to do and ask my mechanics opinion and make my decision from there.. He said that installing a slip on with the OEM ECU will not harm the bike, but when I get the race ECU he will have to tune it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· What's a newb?
472 Posts
I have 3,000 + on mine but have had the race ecu and exhaust since day one so can't tell you the difference between standard and race ecu for feel. I think it's just lean with a slip on and standard by a bit from what I've been told. Feels great with the race ecu but to get the most you would have to get a power commander after the race ecu and specifically tune it for your bike. If you have a dealer near by. Go for it you won't be sorry.

· RU1WITHYOUR1?
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you for all the answers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.