Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello there! need advice related to the a/m issue.

1. how do i know whether the bike need to have her valve clearance done? any strong indications or signs?

2. checking whether the bike needs valve clearance, is it an easy job? just by visually looking?

3. when valve clearance is done, engine oil must be changed and carbs muct be re-syn?

thanks!!!

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
1. how do i know whether the bike need to have her valve clearance done? any strong indications or signs?
Rough idle, hard starting or loud tapping noise(not necessary)

2. checking whether the bike needs valve clearance, is it an easy job? just by visually looking?
its no easy job adn major Pain depending on year model bike. you hae to remove radiator and hoses, fuel tank, valve cover, have small set of narrow feeler gauges ot check intake valves.. if you have to change shimms, the cams come out and you have to find out what shim is in there and figure out what shim u need.

3. when valve clearance is done, engine oil must be changed and carbs muct be re-syn? no u dont have to change oil or sync, but its a good idea if it hasnt been done before

thanks!!!

On 04-05 model i think the shop time for valve adjsutments is like 6 hours. figure 50bucks an hour plus shims it can be exmpensive. its not as bad on earlier years, but its still a few hour job for someone who hasnt done one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts