Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that's had to replace their intake valves and intake valve guides, did you replace them with genuine Yamaha parts?
Have you had any trouble since replacing them, have you found the issue reoccurs?

I've got the head off my bike and ordered all new replacement OEM guides and valves. about to have the engine builder re-grind the seats and put it back together for me. Just wondering if I've made the right purchase on the parts (choosing OEM) or maybe I should have gone aftermarket.

·
Save a life, grope your wife!
1,514 Posts
I replaced a valve guide in my 07 when I had it. I used OEM parts and had no problems afterwards. Do a search for "#4 Valve guide failure."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced a valve guide in my 07 when I had it. I used OEM parts and had no problems afterwards. Do a search for "#4 Valve guide failure."
Hi Hooligan998, yep I've seen your post and read the whole thread in detail, that's what started me down this path to getting the head off and checking the valves, so thanks very much for the effort you went to, here's mine;
08 R1 - Intake Valve Replacement

I'm just a bit concerned as to how well this repair holds up with new OEM guides and valves. Is it a design flaw or just a bad batch of guides out of the factory, maybe we'll never know.
That's why I'd like to hear some feedback from those that'd done the repair. I read that you had your bike for another 3000 miles before selling it. Just wondering if there any others out there with more mileage than that on their engine that since repairing the valve issue. Most fix it and then ghost the forum.

Maybe I should fix it, sell it and buy a later model.

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,018 Posts
The 2007 - 2008 valve stem/guide problem sure is a mystery...
Either it happen or it's absolutely no problem at all...

Can't say how a repair will turn out but my -07 have 97000 miles on it now and the valves and guides are like new..
(Had the engine apart last spring for a check up)..

So, if fixed right with stock parts it should be no problem (y)

·
Save a life, grope your wife!
1,514 Posts
Hi Hooligan998, yep I've seen your post and read the whole thread in detail, that's what started me down this path to getting the head off and checking the valves, so thanks very much for the effort you went to, here's mine;
08 R1 - Intake Valve Replacement

I'm just a bit concerned as to how well this repair holds up with new OEM guides and valves. Is it a design flaw or just a bad batch of guides out of the factory, maybe we'll never know.
That's why I'd like to hear some feedback from those that'd done the repair. I read that you had your bike for another 3000 miles before selling it. Just wondering if there any others out there with more mileage than that on their engine that since repairing the valve issue. Most fix it and then ghost the forum.

Maybe I should fix it, sell it and buy a later model.

FWIW, The guy I sold it to still has it and has put thousands upon thousands of miles on it. Also, I did track days after the rebuild, so it got properly thrashed and held up fine.

·
R1.. The fast kind
1,018 Posts
As far as i know it happens to both -07 & -08(?)
Havn't heard of any info about Yamaha agnolage this as a typical problem covering special batches, which of course they should have known if it's a component quality problem..

This is one of the worst flaws i heard of since you as a owner have absolutely no clue until it happens and then it will cost you..

Would be interesting to get a little bit deaper in to the root cause.

Is it:
Material
Assembly
Lubrication(?)
Riding style
Some or all above.....?

My bike is an early -07, european market, with huge amount o street riding, some moderat track riding in the beginning.

Oil change at stipulated interval.
Most of the times Motul 7100.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2007 - 2008 valve stem/guide problem sure is a mystery...
Either it happen or it's absolutely no problem at all...

Can't say how a repair will turn out but my -07 have 97000 miles on it now and the valves and guides are like new..
(Had the engine apart last spring for a check up)..

So, if fixed right with stock parts it should be no problem (y)
Sweet! yes, OEM - stock parts going back in the cylinder head i.e. 8x intake valves and intake valve guides, also renewing all 16x valve stem seals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts