5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know about this?
I heard every R1 does this. I have checked my valves
and every one of the was within spec. Also I noticed
that the manual says the exaust valves should be set
between .21-.30mm on the bike it says .21-.25mm. I
had all exaust valves measure .24mm ecxept one which
was .25mm. I did not notice until I had put the bike back together how the data sticker on the bike was
different from the service manual.

Jason

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
First WELCOME ok now do not worry about it mine has made that damn noise since day one,I now have 8500 miles on it and alot of those are track miles I have checked mine twice all is well so grip it and rip it.

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
The shop I bought my bike at had one for test drives, and I bought a different one; same ticking noise, no problem so far.:)

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
I had ticking on my Honda CBR900RR '93 .. so did my brother .. but much more severe on his... RR '95.

You probably could get it fixed .. but it would come back after a few miles again.. so I don't suggest doing it.

And BTW, Welcome :D

·
Natural born looooooser
51 Posts
And I join the choir. Mine is also ticking ALOT, but no problems so far. Also it seems to me as if my -00 sounds alot more than my previous one from -99.
Don´t know if it is the truth but thats my impression any way.

·
'See you in the crosshairs'
86 Posts
EVERY R1 I've ever heard makes this noise, I think it may have something to do with the fact that the oil all goes over to the right when you park up, so when you start up the cam lobe is dry so wears out a bit quicker.
Don't worry about it, a friend has an R1 that has done over 22,000, mostly on the track and its fine.

·
Really?
208 Posts
Mine is making noises from the right side. I think it´s from the EXUP valve. Oh, and how does the oil go to the right side when the bike is parked? Levitation?

·
1,894 Posts
I think he was meaning since it is leaned over on the kickstand all the oil is on the right. That is just my translation.

·
Seeing BLUE
3 Posts
Hi everyone I'm new to the Bike scene and I'm also new to the R1 culture.:)

I love my new R1
I park it in my garage every night and before I leave the bike I have to give it a quick wipe down so it looks all spiffyed for my next ride.

I do have one concern though, I have this ticking sound that is coming from my bike, from what I'm reading it's not something to worry about. But I do.

If anyone can tell me exactly what is causing it and why, that would be great.

·
1,894 Posts
it is normal on all R1s it seems. It is in the valve train but I have checked mine twice and they are fine do not worry about it. R1 trait

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Welcome BluStreak01 :D Take care of that bike of yours!

Your bike won't brake or have less horse power due to that ticking sound. It's just the way it is.

Maybe the Yamaha R1 2002 model will have that fixed?!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I hope Yamaha fixes this ticking and we never have to hear it again. I mus admit I don't even notice it anymore. It has become normal to me and goes in one ear and out the other. Also helps that my exhaust is getting louder, finally!

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
How do you get your bike to lean to the right on your sidestands? Oil should pool to the left.

Every Yamaha that I have owned has ticked. That's what they do. Harleys leak oil and Yamahas tick. Big in-line fours sounds like huge sewing machines anyway, especially next to a twin.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts