Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this 2012 r1 with 2700 miles about 2 months ago. Put a little over 2k miles on it. Did the oil change when I first got it using full synthetic valvoline 10w40, and after a hard 2k miles I switched to yamalube 10w40. After that, I noticed this "ticking" like something is rattling around inside the bike. I've had a few mechanics tell me it could be valves, but how would a valve be out of spec at 5k miles? This shit is driving me crazy. I changed the CCT to a manual one yet it still makes the noise. Tightened it to the point it would do the hollow sound on start up, still would make the ticking.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's an r1. There's most likely gonna be rattling somewhere, and most likely you clutch.

I sincerely doubt its your valves at 4k+ miles.

Reset your CCT to its manufacturers spec. Too tight and you'll wreck your engine.

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

·
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
10,834 Posts
It's an r1. There's most likely gonna be rattling somewhere, and most likely you clutch.

I sincerely doubt its your valves at 4k+ miles.

Reset your CCT to its manufacturers spec. Too tight and you'll wreck your engine.

I actually hear something that could be an issue but its a poor video.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,014 Posts
i would say i heard something, but cant confirm. too short, nothing but revving. :dunno

if the timing is off it could be making such a noise.

·
Super Moderator
23,875 Posts
This is a great video
No it's not. :shake

I can't hear anything that sounds like a ticking noise. Most likely this is just the famous yamaha tick that has been around forever. Just go ride your bike and forget about it. :fact

Go to the link below and type in "yamaha tick" make sure to have the quotes and start reading.

https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/search.php

·
Super Moderator
23,875 Posts
Did you click on the link I gave you and read up? That's exactly the yamaha tick. Every r1 has it. I know I've had 4 of them. Stop obsessing about this and go ride.

·
kickin' at the darkness
10,014 Posts
Need a longer video. It sounds somewhat similar to what i had before valve adjustment.

Need a longer video with idle also.
i was gonna post the same but couldnt bother..

OP. i dont hear no ticking clearly enough to warrant thinking you've got an issue.

video is just too damn short at idle, quit moving the camera around, it doesnt help!. you think you hear it so you hear it
right away but posted video medium doesnt always carry the same as you think. shitty mic and crappy compression
codecs dont allow sound to translate to other's speakers. hell i'm listening to laptop speakers :lol

the 'riding' video is too noisy to be useful, bike sounds like shit but i dont know if thats the bike's fault or shitty video quality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
https://youtu.be/IVQd7THjn14
It will inconsistently tap at idle. The entire reason I’m revving it is because that’s when you can hear it as the revs start to drop. It literally sounds like marbles in person, but not super loud to begin with.
I read about the “Yamaha Tick” way before I even owned an R1, but the videos I’ve seen on youtube about it are more of a consistent tick. Plus it just developed after my most recent oil and coolant flush, which is why it concerns me.
Also the bike sounds like shit probably because it’s a stock system? Not really sure, doesn’t sound too bad when I’m riding it but it’s quiet as ****

·
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
10,834 Posts
I can hear it now.

It sounds normal. Mine make noises too.

Everything looked fine during the cable adjustment. However, exhaust #3 was out of spec on both sides while all others were in spec.

Another member and myself came to the conclusion that it was tight from factory so yes it’s possible to be out of spec with low mileage.

I’m sure usage and maintenance place a part in that also.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It sounds to me like clutch rattle (normal), timing chain (common) or your oil pump chain (common). None are indicative of a problem.

Can you pinpoint where its coming from? It sometimes is easy to tell if it's coming from the left or right side, or top or bottom.

Another thing to check is if it changes pitch when you clutch down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It sounds like it’s coming from the right side, head area. Tried listening and pinpointing with a screwdriver but didn’t find the location

·
Registered
295 Posts
You could get a temp gun and measure temps in each head. If the ones on the right are lower, then going by what iamLa experienced over the last month, tight valves could be causing poor combustion in the affected cylinder.

·
Not an R7, next best thing!!
208 Posts
You could get a temp gun and measure temps in each head. If the ones on the right are lower, then going by what iamLa experienced over the last month, tight valves could be causing poor combustion in the affected cylinder.

OP: If you want guys to give you their opinion, post a video that is longer that a few seconds. It seems like you are still riding the bike, so ride in normal and post the video...make it 1 min or more, so guys can get a feel for the noise. If you don't want to ride it, because of the wind factor, than post a vid in a stable (none wind) environment and slowly go thru the RPM range, but do it for at least 1 min. There are a bunch of guys on here that know their shit, and are more then willing to help, but u gotta give them the info so they can digest it.

On a side note, my 2016 did have out of spec valve shims (after my rebuild) and the heat gun did show that the ones that were out of spec were running hotter. There was too much gap so they were not opening long enough to let out all the hot gases, is my guess. After I re-shimmed them they all have the same relative temp now (note: the temp does bounce around with each piston combustion). I will also say that my bike did not make that noise because the valves were staying shut longer and not opening too early.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts