Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Drinking Colt 45's with Lando
6,084 Posts
I like it. I love the nice yet kind of sleeper appearance. Stickers make more noise than horspower. I am curious though.. why not build 600+ cubic inch v8's with transbrakes and do wheelies? Don't get me wrong I like all cars, I just was wondering about that. How does that thing do? I mean what does it quarter mile? can it road course? Is it streetable enough to take it down to the local hangout and pick on everyone? Any how It's nice.... later
Jeff

· `Ohhh shit`..famous last words
321 Posts
The car is really streetable. I do take it to the local hangout. Its done a 11.4 @ 137mph on street tires (18") at 23psi. it does really well on the street...for the most part. I set it up mainly to handle the twisties, so it has coilovers and big swaybars and a bunch of polyurathane bushings, it's also been corner weighted. It never started out to be a drag strip only car.

It was built to be more or less a sleeper...and I never thought I could get 782rwhp (930flywheel HP) out of it.

dkm
2001 R1 :boobies

· smooth runner
153 Posts
nice, I mean very nice, I like the sleeper effect, you must surprise alot of other cars out there!

please don't call it "superbike killer" because it is not, superbikes in the'80 where in the 11's at the strip, today's bikes are in the low 10's-high 9's and they also are not built for the dragstrip only,

but still a nice car, good job!

Robert

· street-dirt-snow
140 Posts
ya Vegas
that is a swwweeeet ride...
cant wait till i got the bucks for a project car...
guess ill have to get my speed thrills of the R1...
sad story ehh....:cryin
only thing that doesnt fit is that GT grill
that just doesnt go with the sleeper\\\\clean
motif...just my opinion...
otherwise....really nicely done...
cant imagine how fun it is to drive....
anyhow....
go pick up some hookers for me..!!!!!
:boobies :boobies

· Drinking Colt 45's with Lando
6,084 Posts
That's cool Vegas. Makes sense to me now. That thing must be a riot to drive.

· ÆNIMA
200 Posts
I think that 'GT grill' is the intercooler.

Sweet ride nonetheless. That car is traction limited at the strip though. I've got a buddy with a 400hp Supra running 12.1s and he has traction problems.

· street-dirt-snow
140 Posts
no shit...that is a cooler...of some type...
couldnt make that out on my laptop...not enough resolution...
or were my eyes just blurrrrrry last night?
still doesnt have to say "GT" on it....would be cleaner without it...

· I eat my R1
1,660 Posts
VegasR1 said:
The car is really streetable. I do take it to the local hangout. Its done a 11.4 @ 137mph on street tires (18") at 23psi. it does really well on the street...for the most part. I set it up mainly to handle the twisties, so it has coilovers and big swaybars and a bunch of polyurathane bushings, it's also been corner weighted. It never started out to be a drag strip only car.

It was built to be more or less a sleeper...and I never thought I could get 782rwhp (930flywheel HP) out of it.

dkm
2001 R1 :boobies
VegasR1 if you are ever in San Diego give me call man because I want a ride in your car.:D PLEASE

321 Posts
My Supra actually has a large twin turbo kit on it. I was thinking about doing a single turbo but I wanted something a little different. I did a lot of the work with a friend in Northern California at Motorsport Dynamics. I should send pics of the motor. Also...there's a ton of pics at www.t04r.com and click my name under the members section. Dave Mashour. It'll have some of the most brutal Supra in the country on that site.

The GT on the intercool was painted on. I was actually thinking about removing the intercooler and anodizing the end tanks black and painting the center section black also.

Driving that car is a challenge. If it's not points strait you're in huge trouble and if you are pointed strait you'll soon be pointed sideways if it's running anymore than 22psi of boost. On the freeway I can spin the tires at 130mph in 4th gear without double clutching the car. Rolling on the throttle and letting the boost build, the car will vaporize the tires.

I hate to say this but the car is boring to me now. I've told a bunch of my friends that tell me I'm crazy to ride bikes, that my car doesn't do anything for me anymore. The thrill of having a bike and playing with that gives me a lot of pleasure. I love to build projects. My last project was my Ducati 996SPS that recently got stolen. It had mag swing, mag wheels, mag triple clamps, ohlin R&T forks, brembo monoblock brakes w/ narrow band rotors, 54mm full exhaust, G cam's, head work, huge throttle bodies and injectors off a 1997 Corsa bike. Full carbon body work. To look at the bike it's was awesome...when i took it to Laguna Seca last year for the WSBK and parked it at "Ducati Island" I had the heads of Ducati NA looking at the bike and they were impressed. The bike only made ~136rwhp but the injection wasn't ever dialed in. Guys with the near identicle setup made 148rwhp. I'm also building a busa...it'll be turboed and dropped and stretched and so forth. I plan on making 350-400rwhp when it's finished. I LOVE to tinker...i'm not a very fast rider...but I love to play with whatever I have.

The car is cool...when it's not broken. In the last 6 months I've broken 6000.00 in driveshafts. I've broken 1 stock driveline and 2 carbonfiber ACPT units. I'm waiting for replacement unit (again) from ACPT. I've shattered 2 rearends, broken 2 transmissions, gone through 4 clutches and 3 front main seals (pop out because of high boost pressures) The car obly has 23k miles on it too....I bought it used with 7k miles about 4 years ago. I don't drive it much...

dave
2001 R1 (getting suspension work as we speak)
1994 Supra (broken)

· ÆNIMA
200 Posts
Is your twin turbo setup sequential or parrallel? I've heard bad things about the sequential arrangment (as compared to two turbos running parrallel off the two banks of cylinders). As for your driveshaft problems, running carbon fiber driveshafts with that much horsepower is not the best idea. Those driveshafts are all about reducing rotating mass. But with 900+hp at the crank, you need the strongest driveshaft you can get, and the best thing for you is a heavy duty steel driveshaft. One is all you'll ever need. It'll definitely be heavier then a carbon fiber, or even an aluminum driveshaft, but if you get the right one, it will never break, and with that much horsepower the weight difference won't be a big issue.

321 Posts
The turbos are paralleled. The turbo kit is actually (2) T3/T4 hybrids on (2) 3 into 1 stainless manifolds. If you go to that www.t04r.com site you'll see pics of the underhood. These turbos are a far cry from the stockers. The turbo kit on the car retails at almost 11k.

dave
2001 r1:boobies <---dream girl

· i read your email.
2,903 Posts
The car is cool...when it's not broken. In the last 6 months I've broken 6000.00 in driveshafts. I've broken 1 stock driveline and 2 carbonfiber ACPT units. I'm waiting for replacement unit (again) from ACPT. I've shattered 2 rearends, broken 2 transmissions, gone through 4 clutches and 3 front main seals (pop out because of high boost pressures) The car obly has 23k miles on it too....I bought it used with 7k miles about 4 years ago. I don't drive it much...

And my R1 that Runs a 10.2 stock mind you will still eat this thing alive! and stay together!!! what does it pull 0-60? If its not less than 2.8 seconds..well shit you have an R1, you know it will keep up, mabye win at higher speeds, if....it stays together!

How about Darius and his Z? Ive seen a clip of his datsun keeping up with an R1, that car is awesome!
Nice car nonetheless though, wish it would stay together though

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.