Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
KyleM's 09 R1 is no DESMO! :-)
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the Venom TN lead officer I would like to invite squadron members as well as other Forum members to post your travel dates up here when you plan to make the trip to the famous Dragon at Deals Gap, TN/NC.

I live only a few miles from the 318 turns of coveted tarmac in the mountains so feel free to contact me with any area questions...hotels, restaurants, other roads to ride and such. I will be glad to meet up and show you the area.

***A Few Tips***

PLEASE ride safe and WELL within your means!!!! This road is no respecter of persons and WILL bite the most experienced rider when they least expect it! (trust me) The Tree of Shame is no joke! People die up here every year!

Keep your ego in check!!! Dont try to keep pace with the locals, these guys are up here every week and can run this road reading a book, in the dark, backwards, on roller blades faster than you would ever consider riding a motorcycle through here! Ride your own pace!

And lastly, DONT CROSS THE FREAKIN DOUBLE YELLOW LINES!!!! You will either take a grill in the face shield or be publicly humiliated on the internet by some of the MANY photographers along the road. You can make a good fast and clean pass up here and never touch the lines! If you have to cross the lines, you are riding over your head!!!

I will also use this thread to give you the 411 on local police activity in the area. Not that you are coming here to break the law or anything.

Travel safe!

·
Super Moderator
21,661 Posts
I'll be up there the first week of June. Always look forward to it.

·
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be up there the first week of June. Always look forward to it.
Guess I should have said trips out side of the convention. :dunno Oh well, Look forward to riding with you Feb 28th. :thumbup

·
Banned
360 Posts
Soon as things turn around a bit with the economy......the plan is to be right there with ya!! :fact

Whats the weather and roads like this time a year Greg? :dunno

·
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soon as things turn around a bit with the economy......the plan is to be right there with ya!! :fact

Whats the weather and roads like this time a year Greg? :dunno
Been cold and rainy for the last month. Usually January gives us a 60 n sunny day you can sneak out on but not this year. It starts clearing up in Feb and you can get a handfull of rides in then. Those rides are always good cuz there are no tourist squids up there being stooooopid. Mostly locals and no coppers.

·
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great day to ride Saturday but the road sucked!! Most of the Gap was covered in an inch of road salt. Slick and messy!! Had a guy high side a Hysong right in front of me right at the state line. he was bruised up but ok. Broke off his front brake lever so I hope he got back home safe.

If your heading to the Gap soon, wait till we get some rain, that salt is thick as hell and no fun to ride in!

·
Super Moderator
21,661 Posts
I bet it's kinda different riding the Gap without leaves on the trees. Can you see through some of the turns? I've never been up there in the Winter.

·
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bet it's kinda different riding the Gap without leaves on the trees. Can you see through some of the turns? I've never been up there in the Winter.

It is different, there is a lot of times you can see several turns ahead above or below you and it makes you realize just how twisty that road is. Trafic is very light and usually local this time of year too, which is nice.

Salt SUX!!

·
Super Moderator
24,190 Posts
My first trip was during the autumn months, and it was interesting. Almost overload seeing as much as we did. The annoying thing about it was when the sun was at extreme angles, it was hard as heck to see.

Overall, I liked it.

·
Super Moderator
21,661 Posts
Yeah, I keep telling myself I'd like to get up there in the Fall as the leaves are turning and before it gets too cold. I hate the cold. Maybe one of the years we can get a small group to go in the Fall.

·
1/4 mile in X.XX seconds?
1,665 Posts
I really need to make it up there ....

But who is gonna let me ride there bike at the gap.....

yup thats what i thought silence lol

cause if i ride my bike i will be going about 25 mph
Sidewinder exhaust and the dragon dont mix

·
Super Moderator
24,190 Posts
Yeah, I keep telling myself I'd like to get up there in the Fall as the leaves are turning and before it gets too cold. I hate the cold. Maybe one of the years we can get a small group to go in the Fall.
I think I'm going to plan an autumn trip. The November trip got me thinking that I'm much closer to the Dragon than I used to think.

·
The south roads are best roads
19,551 Posts
I really need to make it up there ....

But who is gonna let me ride there bike at the gap.....

yup thats what i thought silence lol

cause if i ride my bike i will be going about 25 mph
Sidewinder exhaust and the dragon dont mix
lol you cant be serious prophet i run a stealth and its pretty loud so i wouldnt worry

·
Super Moderator
24,190 Posts
lol you cant be serious prophet i run a stealth and its pretty loud so i wouldnt worry
His exhaust is a drag racing type. No ground clearance :secret:

1 - 20 of 121 Posts