1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hope is what makes us Human.
8,402 Posts
i can see this bike is crying with pain. Chronicle pain! :555:

·
Save a life, grope your wife!
1,486 Posts
Mount is off in the pic - That's the only thing you noticed?
No. It's the only thing I had question about, at the time. But since you seem offended, here are some more things I noticed:

1. Why so dirty? You posted a pic of a custom bike. A dirty custom bike. Pretty amateur move.
2. Why so many inconsistent gaps in the areas around the head lights, tank, seat, etc.? I'm not saying I could have done any better, but you wanted to know what else I noticed.
3. The seat foam looks lumpy, like it was hacked with a dull butter knife and recovered. And badly recovered at that.
4. Your mirrors are all scratched up.

Now, I'm not saying I could have done any better, hell my bike is usually dirty as fvck because all I do is ride it, and I commend you on your effort. But it looks like a custom hack job. So those are the things I noticed.

Fair 'nuff?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No. It's the only thing I had question about, at the time. But since you seem offended, here are some more things I noticed:

1. Why so dirty? You posted a pic of a custom bike. A dirty custom bike. Pretty amateur move.
2. Why so many inconsistent gaps in the areas around the head lights, tank, seat, etc.? I'm not saying I could have done any better, but you wanted to know what else I noticed.
3. The seat foam looks lumpy, like it was hacked with a dull butter knife and recovered. And badly recovered at that.
4. Your mirrors are all scratched up.

Now, I'm not saying I could have done any better, hell my bike is usually dirty as fvck because all I do is ride it, and I commend you on your effort. But it looks like a custom hack job. So those are the things I noticed.

Fair 'nuff?
What's the difference between a so-called pro and a so-called amateur? You tell me what you think the difference is. Guys that do work as a profession make sure customer's work is perfect and clean - as for their own property they look for people who comprehend what they are doing and can appreciate the details on that level. So who's what now?

I ride this bike - so its no garage queen - it's always dirty but in this case the 'dirt' is compound after wet sanding and polishing. The only thing I'll give you on your list of things you noticed is the gap between the upper and the mids. While the actual gap is level and correct, the upper had an arch is should not have. That existed for about a day until I heated the upper up to flatten it out. Since that upper is 2 fairings cut, welded and blended together along with a good bit of fab work, just like TIG welded AU it loses some shape when you apply that much heat to it for that long. This was first fitting after mock-up and paint and a ton of work in the off season including true and proper ram air and a pressurized airbox. I make the mistake of assuming the deductive power of some of my audience from time to time.

Gaps around the headlights and gas tank - I don't know where to start there. There are no gaps around the headlights since the plastic around the light is OEM Yamaha along with the stands that mount the lights for an 07 08 model. All that I needed was cut straight from a good OEM R1 upper. There are rider air vents fabbed on the outside edges of the lights - No gaps at all. The tank doesn't have any of the trim pieces installed because they're all being done in CF and are currently being copied via a mold. The tank mounts are probably one of the only stock parts of this bike so take that up with Yamaha. The seat has about 5 staples holding the wrap over the foam to make sure the shape of the seat frame lines up and sits down as it should and conforms to the rear fairing which is not at all stock - nor is the rear subframe. I'm not going to button it up just to take it apart again and put another 200 holes in the vinyl until I know its underlying support fits everything like it should. I highly doubt you'd be able to name the simplest steps in such a process since the only thing you could assume was the shape of the foam was the cause which it's not. And once this mockup seat is done, I'll then make my own seat pan from scratch along with the foam and sew up a slightly altered version of the 04-06 seat skin. Hardly a difficult task compared to what has already been done.

The mirrors don't fit on that bike - they were junkers from a newer year that don't fit the 01 fairing stay. Once I have them running parallel to the ground and I'm sure they don't vibrate loose, droop, blow back etc I'll resurface and paint them. Certainly not before, why would I and why use good clean mirrors you are going to hackup and paint anyway? That'd be almost as dumb as assuming I'm leaving them like that. You didn't notice the mirrors aren't 01 R1 - clearly. Do you know what they are? Nope.

Suppose I gave a little too much credit that some common sense might kick in and the obviousness of the difficulty of the work that WAS done, would leave a toddler to realize the small details you mentioned were no obstacle. I mean mirrors?? Really? That's going to bother me - or you think I somehow missed them or that I was thinking they would just pass as show quality since the rest of the bike was so good.. Come on man - you went after it because somewhere this bike bothers you. And if you were honest and posted the truth about what REALLY bothers you about it then I'd be cool with that, but this ego BS with sportbikes is pathetic and widespread. I hear a lot of shit talking and projected negativity born of insecurity. What I don't hear is accurate advice or unique experience and what I don't see are people with the tools and knowledge to REALLY do anything other than bolt on someone else's absurdly expensive junk and call that "custom". It's a joke. Its sad.

In regards to the pictures overall quality - clearly I'm not going for picture perfect here - look at the damn background!? It's not the ocean, mountains, forest or even a respectable building. I thought I was posting pictures of a unique set of work on a bike forum for specific bike that everybody here claims they know everything about - I didn't think I was posting on FB.

You know what I would have been impressed with? Instead of trying to pick it apart and make yourself feel better - If you had asked if the ram air was functional or noticed that the entire width from the twin spars back was narrowed - or maybe something simple like how well does the 14 front end mount up and what parts are you using for the 2014 brakes / can you use the 98-03 MC? How about something much more universal and beneficial to everyone like how did you make your own mounts for the LED brake and turn indicators in the rear as well as the turn indicators for the front. How do you turn an LED into a 'two stage' brake light? Even though that's still quite surface level... I would have at least been inclined to embrace the comment without getting the overwhelming notion of: "par for course."
If you had spent as much time looking at the pipe as you did trying to find flaws you would have answered your own question as there's clearly safteywire holding it place - a mockup!! - while the mount was being TIGd. Imagine that. But I wouldn't worry, most people react exactly like you. So you are 1 in 8 billion - just like you. Negative comments right from the start, unprovoked, and I'm sure for very good reasons.

So - sure fair enough.

·
My R1 eats Gixxers
364 Posts
In the time it took to craft that exquisitely long response, you could have went to the bike shop, grabbed some S100 or honda brite, came back to the garage, detailed the frankenbike, taken some new photos, perfected the lighting in photoshop, uploaded them, and then gone for a long ride down a dirt road to return it to your preferred state of cleanliness.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In the time it took to craft that exquisitely long response, you could have went to the bike shop, grabbed some S100 or honda brite, came back to the garage, detailed the frankenbike, taken some new photos, perfected the lighting in photoshop, uploaded them, and then gone for a long ride down a dirt road to return it to your preferred state of cleanliness.
Not likely - I've been writing code since 1985. I type as fast as I talk. As I had mentioned - the 'dirt' is already compound and the products you mentioned I wouldn't ever use on fresh paint... Seriously - do not use anything with silica or silicone on fresh paint especially old schools lacquer based junk but still just as important for freshly painted modern 2 stage acrylic enamels. The wax can stop the solvent purge and it can do many nasty things to your new paint including return it to a liquid state. The best products to use are the that are sold by local auto body supply shops. IE 3M Hand glaze or any high end hang glaze. Way better than washing and waxing. You can do both in 1 minute with that stuff.

·
Save a life, grope your wife!
1,486 Posts
What's the difference between a so-called pro and a so-called amateur? You tell me what you think the difference is. Guys that do work as a profession make sure customer's work is perfect and clean - as for their own property they look for people who comprehend what they are doing and can appreciate the details on that level. So who's what now?

I ride this bike - so its no garage queen - it's always dirty but in this case the 'dirt' is compound after wet sanding and polishing. The only thing I'll give you on your list of things you noticed is the gap between the upper and the mids. While the actual gap is level and correct, the upper had an arch is should not have. That existed for about a day until I heated the upper up to flatten it out. Since that upper is 2 fairings cut, welded and blended together along with a good bit of fab work, just like TIG welded AU it loses some shape when you apply that much heat to it for that long. This was first fitting after mock-up and paint and a ton of work in the off season including true and proper ram air and a pressurized airbox. I make the mistake of assuming the deductive power of some of my audience from time to time.

Gaps around the headlights and gas tank - I don't know where to start there. There are no gaps around the headlights since the plastic around the light is OEM Yamaha along with the stands that mount the lights for an 07 08 model. All that I needed was cut straight from a good OEM R1 upper. There are rider air vents fabbed on the outside edges of the lights - No gaps at all. The tank doesn't have any of the trim pieces installed because they're all being done in CF and are currently being copied via a mold. The tank mounts are probably one of the only stock parts of this bike so take that up with Yamaha. The seat has about 5 staples holding the wrap over the foam to make sure the shape of the seat frame lines up and sits down as it should and conforms to the rear fairing which is not at all stock - nor is the rear subframe. I'm not going to button it up just to take it apart again and put another 200 holes in the vinyl until I know its underlying support fits everything like it should. I highly doubt you'd be able to name the simplest steps in such a process since the only thing you could assume was the shape of the foam was the cause which it's not. And once this mockup seat is done, I'll then make my own seat pan from scratch along with the foam and sew up a slightly altered version of the 04-06 seat skin. Hardly a difficult task compared to what has already been done.

The mirrors don't fit on that bike - they were junkers from a newer year that don't fit the 01 fairing stay. Once I have them running parallel to the ground and I'm sure they don't vibrate loose, droop, blow back etc I'll resurface and paint them. Certainly not before, why would I and why use good clean mirrors you are going to hackup and paint anyway? That'd be almost as dumb as assuming I'm leaving them like that. You didn't notice the mirrors aren't 01 R1 - clearly. Do you know what they are? Nope.

Suppose I gave a little too much credit that some common sense might kick in and the obviousness of the difficulty of the work that WAS done, would leave a toddler to realize the small details you mentioned were no obstacle. I mean mirrors?? Really? That's going to bother me - or you think I somehow missed them or that I was thinking they would just pass as show quality since the rest of the bike was so good.. Come on man - you went after it because somewhere this bike bothers you. And if you were honest and posted the truth about what REALLY bothers you about it then I'd be cool with that, but this ego BS with sportbikes is pathetic and widespread. I hear a lot of shit talking and projected negativity born of insecurity. What I don't hear is accurate advice or unique experience and what I don't see are people with the tools and knowledge to REALLY do anything other than bolt on someone else's absurdly expensive junk and call that "custom". It's a joke. Its sad.

In regards to the pictures overall quality - clearly I'm not going for picture perfect here - look at the damn background!? It's not the ocean, mountains, forest or even a respectable building. I thought I was posting pictures of a unique set of work on a bike forum for specific bike that everybody here claims they know everything about - I didn't think I was posting on FB.

You know what I would have been impressed with? Instead of trying to pick it apart and make yourself feel better - If you had asked if the ram air was functional or noticed that the entire width from the twin spars back was narrowed - or maybe something simple like how well does the 14 front end mount up and what parts are you using for the 2014 brakes / can you use the 98-03 MC? How about something much more universal and beneficial to everyone like how did you make your own mounts for the LED brake and turn indicators in the rear as well as the turn indicators for the front. How do you turn an LED into a 'two stage' brake light? Even though that's still quite surface level... I would have at least been inclined to embrace the comment without getting the overwhelming notion of: "par for course."
If you had spent as much time looking at the pipe as you did trying to find flaws you would have answered your own question as there's clearly safteywire holding it place - a mockup!! - while the mount was being TIGd. Imagine that. But I wouldn't worry, most people react exactly like you. So you are 1 in 8 billion - just like you. Negative comments right from the start, unprovoked, and I'm sure for very good reasons.

So - sure fair enough.
TL;DR.

If all you want is positive criticism and you don't want negative criticism, don't post. Period. Those were my opinions and observations. Part of being a custom builder is understanding people will be critical of your work and accepting that. I didn't dump on you personally, which would have been a different story all together. Now go out, use the criticism to your advantage and stop fvcking crying about it.

Besides, who what the fvck do you care what I think? My opinion is just like an a$$hole, and just like everyone else it probably stinks at times.

I'm guessing all that junk you typed, which I didn't read, is probably chock full of good info on the bike, but since you posted it as a pissed off rebuttal instead of as info in the original post, I'm not going to read it.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TL;DR.

If all you want is positive criticism and you don't want negative criticism, don't post. Period. Those were my opinions and observations. Part of being a custom builder is understanding people will be critical of your work and accepting that. I didn't dump on you personally, which would have been a different story all together. Now go out, use the criticism to your advantage and stop fvcking crying about it.

Besides, who what the fvck do you care what I think? My opinion is just like an a$$hole, and just like everyone else it probably stinks at times.

I'm guessing all that junk you typed, which I didn't read, is probably chock full of good info on the bike, but since you posted it as a pissed off rebuttal instead of as info in the original post, I'm not going to read it.

Your subsequent reply(s) was absolutely a personal attack - believe your BS all you want but I'm not going to give that garbage any credence whatsoever. And I'm suppose to read and take your criticism, but you don't read mine - did you really just post that obvious self-conflicted hypocrisy!? If I thought you were qualified to offer constructive rebuttals on the actual work I'd be all ears. God forbid you halt your infinitely typical and predictable knee-jerk effort to bandaid your belittled inner mechanic and actually seek to learn something unique about he very machine you are here for in the first place.

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,468 Posts
It's definitely interesting. What was your main intent with this bike? It sounds like you're not actually finished with the bike just yet. Why not wait until you have all the trim/bodywork complete, in place, the bike is clean, and get some good shots of it?

Not likely - I've been writing code since 1985. I type as fast as I talk.
As a programmer who regularly types >100 WPM, you know that the more you program, the more it screws with your average day-to-day typing :lol.

·
I miss my R1
2,984 Posts
The difference is Hooligan998 didn't type a novel, he posted his thoughts in succinct point form.

FWIW, I agree with him. If you're going to take the time to customize your bike and share it, why not wait until it's finished or post a thread as "Work In Progress" with pics of your efforts along the way.

Also, if you came here expecting everyone was going to trip over themselves telling you what a great job you've done, you must be new to the internet.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I think Johnny Cash wrote a song about this...

I can see the different years and can appreciate the effort. Would be interesting to see the finished product in person.

·
Mad Thou Rider
2,742 Posts
you posted a pic online asking for people to take a closer look, did you not expect that some might not like it?

It may be that the photos arent showing it off to the best effect, but it isnt quite to my taste.

If you like it and you're happy with it, then stop worrying about other people's opinions, and just enjoy your ride.

Posting a lengthy diatribe because you got feedback you didnt like isnt going to convince anyone to change their opinion, -it just makes you look childish.

Ive had plenty of people say they don't like some of the things Ive done to many of my rides - I don't sweat it. Not everyone will share your taste

1 - 19 of 19 Posts