Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
THE 1
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys need some help please. Finally after 16 years have decided to
upgrade from my 03 R1 to a 2016 R1 just not sure it's really a 2016.
I tried using vin check but can't get a year. JYARN321000002996

Thanks
20191129_113840.jpg

·
Super Moderator
23,972 Posts
According to everything I have just searched is.... that VIN tag is not real. The 10th digit is the model year. That has a zero and in the VIN year breakdown there is no zero, only 1-9 and most of the alphabet. For a 2016 model year it should be a G. I'd stay away from that bike... could be stolen, salvaged... who knows.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
yea that looks fake. my vin i believe its supposed to be JYARN and then 40e or 40n for the country code i haven't see three numbers before. my vin tag also has year and month manufactured. does the vin on the sticker even match what's stamped into the frame by the forks?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The thing to do is call your local PD and have them check it and report it. Don't rely on the internet to keep you out of legal troubles.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The vin number is stamped on the frame on the headstock. That number needs to match the sticker.
It should be obvious if it's been screwed with.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
THE 1
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys thanks for the replys called Yamaha dealer the number is legit.
It's a 2015 model not 2017 as they advertised..Rode the bike anyway,
Bad Idea as now I really need one:)

·
Super Moderator
23,972 Posts
There is no way that number is legit with what I posted above. But you can believe whatever you want. Good luck to you!

·
THE 1
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems here in South Africa they are all zeros Just checked my 03 and it is the same zero where the year is but when I do a vin search on that it does show the year. As I'm looking for a 16+ doesn't really matter.😀

·
Registered
86 Posts
@Kevap Different places use different systems, in Japan for example they do not use VIN numbers at all on bikes.
I didn't spot OP was in SA until the last post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts