Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered Adrenaline Junkie
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:confused: When I bought my Vortex 16t front sprocket, it came with no instructions. The piece is Asymetrical, one side having a larger/thicker "mounting area"...

Pardon the pre-school-esque drawing, but its the best I could do to make it easier to understand...

Is this how its mounted? The blue side being the thicker of the 2 surfaces...
I eyed it up with the chain-guide thing on the axis of the swingarm, that the chain rests on, and this way was the most "in-line" with it...

:dunno

Seems to me the thicker side would be made like that to compensate for the loss of width, going to 520 from 530... Meaning I have it on backwards...

:dundun:

· me r1 to eats P***y
3,527 Posts
unless your angle on the last pick is off its installed backwards , the teeth on the sprocket should line up perfectly with the raised section of the guide actually the first pic looks good. Install it one way and look then the other way and look you will be able to see it.

i remember putting mine on both ways and having to look down the swingarm to figuire out which way it went but im old and have no memory so i dont remember which way it went

· Registered
8,486 Posts
most part numbers face outward on most brands, but i don't know about vortex since we don't sell it. Not a fan of their rear sprockets so we don't sell that brand. Of the ones we do the part number faces outward most of the time. Call vortex on monday morning just to make sure or just try it both ways and check alignment.

· Registered Adrenaline Junkie
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, judging by your guys responses I'd say I got it on right then...

The part # is out, and it looked "lined-up" the most in its current state...

(yeah, I took that last pic like that to see the inner mounted surface...)

:thumbup Thanx fellas...

* EDIT - I know, I know... Clean the gunk off...!!! :hammer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.