Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I eat other's R1
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was told if i put on lowering springs on my stock shocks and struts it will blow them out, is this true?

Thanks

·
I ride an R1...and your mom.
111 Posts
It all depends on the type of spring you plan to install. H&R, for instance, has a sport spring and a race spring. The sport springs from H&R are designed to install using OEM struts, and subsequently don't lower the car as aggressively as the H&R race springs. They advise to upgrade to a performance or sport type shock/strut when using their race springs. My cousin's boyfriend has H&R sports on his 99 E36 M3 and it lowered the car about 1.5 inches. He uses stock shocks and the car rides really good. Keep in mind that if your stock shocks are old or borderline blown, you may want to upgrade those as well, prior to installing the springs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Neh.

I had an 01 VW GTI 1.8T for a while. Ran 18x10s with H&R RACE springs. It dropped it almost exactly 2 inches and with the stock shocks the car still rode like a dream. The handling was all that really changed. I drove it like that for about 30K miles. Then it got stolen.

So I would say do the springs now, upgrade your struts later.

VW are a bitch to do suspension on BTW. If I remember correctly that is. I've lowered a buncha cars. Always used stock shocks and never had any serious problems. Hondas suck on stock struts with drop coils. I used Eibach, and some other brand I cant remember. Nothing cheapo.

Marcus

·
I eat other's R1
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there nuespeed sport springs. 1.5 inches of drop, and why are vw suspspension so hard to work on?

·
My R1 eats everything
374 Posts
A lot of it depends on why you are dropping your car. If it is just for looks then purchasing lowering springs will most likely not blow out your stock struts. Usually when you purchase lowering springs they are stiffer then stock so this "should" prevent you from bottoming out. However, your stock shocks are designed to operate with a certain spring rate on rebound, changing the spring rate without changing the shocks will cause your suspension to oscillate more then previously. Another piece you should look into getting (unless you like spending a lot of money on tires) is a camber kit. The biggest problem, which is very expensive and difficult to overcome, is that you will be riding on a different point along the camber curve. What this means is that say with the stock suspension, at 2" bump you get .1 degrees of camber gain, depending on how the suspension was designed, that same 2" bump on a lowered car could result in a much larger change in camber. But, like I said in the beginning, if it is for looks then you don't have to worry about any of this.

·
I eat other's R1
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its not for looks. i like going fast around turns in anything i drive.
how hard is this camber kit? couldnt i go to some tires places and have them fix the camber when i get my new rims?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts