Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:scared I was at my mates lake house today and before going for breakfast in his Jeep I parked my bike in the shade on his tar driveway. We get back and my bike is down. The sun changed position and got so hot it melted the tar and my stand went through the ground.

·
Over doing it
702 Posts
Yeah...driveway and parking lot asphalt are dangerous. The asphalt isn't thick enough to prevent getting displaced in high temp conditions. A flattened soda can under the kick stand is all you need to keep the asphalt cool enough to support your bike. Even a sheet of cardboard usually works if you can get to the asphalt before its already hot.

·
Talk to me Goose
1,703 Posts
should have had your trusty deals gap kick stand puck.

·
Go in deeper come out faster
6,403 Posts
Sorry to hear...dam them gremlins

·
The Intern
2,404 Posts
Yup.
Once, before I got rid of my R1, I parked it on pavement, and stepped away for about 5 mins. When I came back, the stand was about a couple inches into the pavement. Had I not come back for another 5 mins, I am sure the bike would have gone down. Since then, never parked on pavement, unless I had some support (they sell them, or you can make your own and carry in a pocket).
Sucks, but now you know.

·
Registered
357 Posts
damn those gremlins..we should fry them with a magnifying glass and see how they like it :bandit

·
Member 1352
1,904 Posts
I know a guy who had a pristine 87 GSXR 750. He parked his bike at a restaurant on a hot day and his bike fell over for the same reason...

He ended up suing the restaurant for having faulty asphalt and they paid to have his bike fixed...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.