Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
...Is just so addicted to R1..
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decide to take in a hand-me-down V45 magna- it's an 83, it has bee sitting literally for 15 years.. you can't believe the varnish that came out of this thing- MY GOD>... and can I tell you- it RAN! A little starter fuid and BAM- done. NIce.

So fast forward a bit- get the carbs off, for indivual soaking/cleaning *(it runs and responds great to throttle but won't idle- pilots just FROZEN) but no big..

So we get to the controls. The brake lever bleeds out fine and works great now.

However, the hydrauliz clutch hasn't faied so well... The lever is like FREE- no pressure- but the brake was pretty much the same. Well, we open up the clutch (my best friend and I- he's an airline mechanic at Conti. -the kid has seen it all) and we get the clutch master open and look at each other like "WHAT the FUUCK????" and now, you guys KNOW this is an absolutely technical industry specific "WTF" - it's no ordinary WTF- it really DOES take a biker (or at least a wrencher) to appreciate this kind of WTF? It's kind of a pause WTF- more like W...T...FFF...???? We look inside this thing and see a sort of granulated coagulated gop- this shit looked so fuucking suspect I thought it was going to come to life and begin eating us!!!

Never seen anything like it! Happily, we got the master freed up and fine- however I guess some of this cheese has made a permanent residence in my clutch line and I can't get the friggin thing to operate!

Anyhow- I figured you guys might get a laugh out of this- at least I hope so! Jon's my best friend- like the brother I never had. This kids ben fixing shit since he could hold a wrench- and you KNOW it's well fuucked up when he doesn't even know what to say!!! Seeing this crap was in perfect keeping with the varnish that pissed out of the floats and the reserve.. oh man- you could smell it for blocks! The whole neighborhood smelled like a god-damned napalm factory!!! laughs..

In closing- does anyone out there know this bike and/or have any suggestions of A) purging the line or b) purging/restoring the slave cylinder? any advice would be appreciated.

thanks - hope you laughed
scud

·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
seriously..

hope you guys got a laugh.. but on the serious side:

anyone have advice on trying to purge a frozen clutch hose?

·
Old, fat and slow
1,802 Posts
Re: seriously..

scud said:
hope you guys got a laugh.. but on the serious side:

anyone have advice on trying to purge a frozen clutch hose?
Do you have an air fed line bleeder? Not the Mighty Vac crappy one, but a good system that hooks up to an air supply?

If that doesn't do it, better look at somenew lines:D

Eric

·
Pimptacular
343 Posts
Yea you need some high pressure air shot through the line. Maybe that glop was a seal in the master cyl that liquified over time.

·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
think it may be slave...

very likely might be slave cylinder...not sure-= I have a compressor- do they sell a special fitting that allows a compressor to hook up to a brake-line fitting?

·
Old, fat and slow
1,802 Posts
Re: think it may be slave...

scud said:
very likely might be slave cylinder...not sure-= I have a compressor- do they sell a special fitting that allows a compressor to hook up to a brake-line fitting?
Don't know of one, but both Speigler and Snap On make the power bleeders, as well as a few others. - that'll suck the hose dry.

Most auto parts stores probably have a cheaper type of bleeder that you might try. Just stay away from the hand pump type (mighty Vac) as it's not going to giver you enough suction to do the job.

Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts