Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Action figure sold separately
Joined
·
12,225 Posts
520 conversion using:
Vortex case hardened front sprocket.
SuperSprox Stealth rear sprocket.
DID ERV 2 chain, has a rivot master link.
Get a MotionPro chain tool kit, about $90.
Use a impact wrench to remove the countershaft sprocket nut.
 

·
Blue is best
Joined
·
787 Posts
The best 520 conversion I can recommend would be to go with a DID EVR2 chain and Afam sprockets. Gearing would be a 16t front and 45 or 46t rear to take full advantage of the conversion. The bike will pull much better and still be useable for long distance riding.

You'll need an impact and socket to get the front sprocket nut off, and I would also recommend a torque wrench for the rear sprocket nuts.

The chain can be removed by grinding the master link pins off with a dremel tool, but you'll need a installation tool to put the rivet master on properly.

Don't have any of the above tools or the confidence to do it yourself? Get a reputable shop to do it for you.
 

·
Who's your Daddy!!
Joined
·
5,465 Posts
The OEM chain is a 530. As some have already mentioned the DID ERV is the way to go along with AFAM or Renthal sprockets of the 530 variety.

Note: If you are inclined to perform this yourself remember to leave the original chain on until you have loosened the counter shaft sprocket nut otherwise you'll be hard pressed to remove it any other way. Then cut/remove a pin with a chain tool to get the chain off.

BD
 

·
Action figure sold separately
Joined
·
12,225 Posts
Big Daddy said:
The OEM chain is a 530. As some have already mentioned the DID ERV is the way to go along with AFAM or Renthal sprockets of the 530 variety.

Note: If you are inclined to perform this yourself remember to leave the original chain on until you have loosened the counter shaft sprocket nut otherwise you'll be hard pressed to remove it any other way. Then cut/remove a pin with a chain tool to get the chain off.

BD
Ah.....not so, graasshopper. You can easily remove the c.s. sprocket nut with the original chain removed first. With an impact wrench, it comes off in about 1.09 seconds. :)
 

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
Joined
·
10,685 Posts
Eyespy said:
Ah.....not so, graasshopper. You can easily remove the c.s. sprocket nut with the original chain removed first. With an impact wrench, it comes off in about 1.09 seconds. :)
:yesnod :yesnod no need to be that slow about it tho. Nascar style that thing, off in .34567835509475698 seconds.
 

·
Who's your Daddy!!
Joined
·
5,465 Posts
Ah...so true but not the best way my student! far better to remove with chain intact. Now you must live indoors for 2 weeks with only cockroach's...:)

BD


Eyespy said:
Ah.....not so, graasshopper. You can easily remove the c.s. sprocket nut with the original chain removed first. With an impact wrench, it comes off in about 1.09 seconds. :)
 

·
Action figure sold separately
Joined
·
12,225 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Ah...so true but not the best way my student! far better to remove with chain intact. ..:)

BD
Ahh...but that is not what you said before, old wise one. Now why is it better, sir master of all things mechanical?
 

·
Frank the Tank RPTB
Joined
·
6,226 Posts
For those of us whose ex wives have all of our "tools", and we are forced to use whats available....I leave the chain on, and remove the countershaft sprocket nut with a socket and lots of force,lol...hopefully nothing else breaks along with it, then I remove the chain by grinding one of the outside link plates down with a grinder, and pop off the plate , then take the chain off....this is archaic, but hey I aint got no tools.....LOL
 

·
Action figure sold separately
Joined
·
12,225 Posts
ducatiwv said:
For those of us whose ex wives have all of our "tools", and we are forced to use whats available....I leave the chain on, and remove the countershaft sprocket nut with a socket and lots of force,lol...hopefully nothing else breaks along with it, then I remove the chain by grinding one of the outside link plates down with a grinder, and pop off the plate , then take the chain off....this is archaic, but hey I aint got no tools.....LOL
Hey, y'aint gots no tools. But ya gots lotsa nos. It's a trade-off, no? lol
 

·
Frank the Tank RPTB
Joined
·
6,226 Posts
Eyespy said:
Hey, y'aint gots no tools. But ya gots lotsa nos. It's a trade-off, no? lol
yeah but a guy has to have his priorities straight you know..........lol
 

·
Who's your Daddy!!
Joined
·
5,465 Posts
Eyespy said:
Ahh...but that is not what you said before, old wise one. Now why is it better, sir master of all things mechanical?
OK, here is my first post in this thread.

Note: If you are inclined to perform this yourself remember to leave the original chain on until you have loosened the counter shaft sprocket nut otherwise you'll be hard pressed to remove it any other way. Then cut/remove a pin with a chain tool to get the chain off.

It is better because the tranny isn't engaged to loosen the nut as it most likely would be the way you suggested, so I would prefer to not put that kind of force on the tranny gears. Perhaps your able to remove the nut without having the tranny engaged or the chain still installed.

BD
 

·
Cheating death in the "D"
Joined
·
21,086 Posts
yamaguy said:
The best 520 conversion I can recommend would be to go with a DID EVR2 chain and Afam sprockets. Gearing would be a 16t front and 45 or 46t rear to take full advantage of the conversion. The bike will pull much better and still be useable for long distance riding.

You'll need an impact and socket to get the front sprocket nut off, and I would also recommend a torque wrench for the rear sprocket nuts.

The chain can be removed by grinding the master link pins off with a dremel tool, but you'll need a installation tool to put the rivet master on properly.

Don't have any of the above tools or the confidence to do it yourself? Get a reputable shop to do it for you.
Ditto the above :thumbup
 

·
Il Padrino
Joined
·
1,995 Posts
If you use your hand to hold the sprocket (or socket on the impact gun) tight counterclockwise the force of the impact gun won't bang the tranny gears.

I prefer this method with the chain already off. It just makes the whole process so much simplier and faster.
 

·
pavement tester....
Joined
·
7,282 Posts
Big Daddy said:
OK, here is my first post in this thread.

Note: If you are inclined to perform this yourself remember to leave the original chain on until you have loosened the counter shaft sprocket nut otherwise you'll be hard pressed to remove it any other way. Then cut/remove a pin with a chain tool to get the chain off.

It is better because the tranny isn't engaged to loosen the nut as it most likely would be the way you suggested, so I would prefer to not put that kind of force on the tranny gears. Perhaps your able to remove the nut without having the tranny engaged or the chain still installed.

BD
-OR-

I had already broken the chain. SO I was pressed with the dilemma of how to get the counter shaft nut off without an impact wrench. There is a ledge by the upper left hand corner of the nut created by the way the tranny is made. Just kink the chain (if it has been broken) and sit it on the ledge, use it to counteract the force applied by loosening the nut. It will hold and you will break the seal in no time.
 

·
Live Now, Pay Later
Joined
·
977 Posts
What size socket do I need for the CS SPROCKET?

ducatiwv said:
For those of us whose ex wives have all of our "tools", and we are forced to use whats available....I leave the chain on, and remove the countershaft sprocket nut with a socket and lots of force,lol...hopefully nothing else breaks along with it, then I remove the chain by grinding one of the outside link plates down with a grinder, and pop off the plate , then take the chain off....this is archaic, but hey I aint got no tools.....LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,386 Posts
KneeDragger77 said:
-OR-

I had already broken the chain. SO I was pressed with the dilemma of how to get the counter shaft nut off without an impact wrench. There is a ledge by the upper left hand corner of the nut created by the way the tranny is made. Just kink the chain (if it has been broken) and sit it on the ledge, use it to counteract the force applied by loosening the nut. It will hold and you will break the seal in no time.
'good idea:bow
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top