Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ride it, don't eat it...
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need help: Want to finally start racing this year...

I've been scratching my head a lot lately about getting back into racing...well getting into racing bikes instead of just doing trackdays. My initial thought was to just run my Aprilia Mille R and get beat up in the super twin's class, but then the thought of eventually wadding it up would $$$uck. So, I've found a very sweet Yamaha YZ250 stroker that is fully built, new motor, two spare motors, sweet bodywork/paint and is ready to race for relatively cheap. I've never spent any tracktime on a 2-stroke. I know the technique is all about keeping momentum and high corner speeds vs point and squirt of a big twin or litre inline. Does anyone have any info on race weekend costs on average(entry fees, tire life and cost, motor builds, etc.)? When I roadraced my GT-3 Mazda RX-7, the average weekend was around $1700, for tires, fees, engine/trans rebuilds, etc..... Thanks for any info!

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,538 Posts
That sounds like fun, but damn, $1,700 a weekend? :eek: What are the chances you'll be able to make that back? Do you get paid for finishing in the top 3? I really don't understand how the whole race scene works.
Sure, I see the race teams on Speed, but I can only image how much $$$ they spend!

Good Luck Man!

·
Ride it, don't eat it...
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, racing cars was just for fun at the club level. Was trying to see how to make it up to higher levels of the sport and go pro someday. Spent a small fortune over the years and did win a championship my second season. With club racing, it was all about fun, and my primary sponsor was my bank account... But I do have quite a few nice trophies and medals hanging on my office wall to show for it... As the saying goes: "How do you make a small fortune in racing? Start with a big one..."

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,538 Posts
Yeah, I read your other post about how you started in 65th position, and made it all the up to 3rd before your car malfunctioned! DAMN! :eek: Racing must truely be in your blood.
If you're serious about it, I say go for it! The pro racers we see on Speed T.V. probably started with the same idea that you have now!:fact
I wish ya the best of luck Man, and if you ever become a famous racer, don't forget about lil ol' Fanatic! :lol

What are the possiblities of going to the bank to get a loan? Since this is sort of a business venture, couldn't you get a business loan to get started? I know it's a HUGE risk, but you gotta get the cash from somewhere...

·
Ride it, don't eat it...
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops, TZ250. Thanks Rusnak_322!

·
three two two
125 Posts
The TZ will be a blast on the track.
There isn’t any bike that is more fun then a GP bike. It will make your Aprilia or R1 feel like a pig.
I had a Honda RS250 and I loved it, but they can be some work.
It isn’t as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, but they do tend to give you fits on occasion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts