Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Catch me if you Can
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anybody know where I get get those extenders to raise the handelbars a little bike higher on the R1?? I have a friend that wants to take it for a long trip.. I remember I saw one that someone was selling had it and was wondering if anybody knew anything about them?? :iamwithst

·
Be the bike
182 Posts
"Heli-modified" is what I put on mine . They are pricey, but for me they were worth every penny. They are wider and flatter, which is why they end up being higher.

Attachments

·
Vroom Vroom
330 Posts
Akabart, how do they affect your handling when your in the twisties?

These look really interesting. Love to hear your thoughts.

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
toddk,

I've had Heli's on my 2001 for quite a while now and will NEVER go back to stock. You won't lose anything handling wise. If anything, you may have even more leverage on the bars. I gotta dash now, but do a search and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who has anything negative to say about the Heli bars.

·
Be the bike
182 Posts
The extra leverage is definately a good thing.

remember, if you don't do a search, Kevap will. :)

·
I'm a lead farmer MF'r!
617 Posts
akabart said:
The one problem I have with the helibars are that the website says they are
1 5/8" Taller
1" Rearward
3/4" Wider
Retains:
stock cables
and hydraulic lines
but the picture shows the bar still below the top triple clamp

·
Be the bike
182 Posts
The heli's are basically the same as stock at the fork tubes, but the angle is what puts them higher at the ends.

·
Vroom Vroom
330 Posts
This looks good. Next mod comming up.
Should be able to put my throttlemeister on the new bars I hope.

I like the KEVAP search function. Its :boobies

HAHA. JK. Thanks

·
For the Love of.........Riding
6,669 Posts
terrence said:
Damn guys...

What next, hard luggage???

:(
Who cares as long as you ride, right ? Buy a Sportbike make it more comfortable and get this VERSATILE(luggage) and you have what most Sport-touring bikes don't.... Gobs of HP, brakes, and handling :fact

·
Ahhh, Southwest Winters...
961 Posts
Linh said:
My typical ride is usually 8 hours, kinda tuff to do on the stock clipons.
When I was in the service, for a week before we qualified with the rifle, you'd do something called "Snapping in". They (the D.I.'s or instructors) would have you get in these really uncomfortable positions with the rifle and stay in position for long periods of time.
Ya, you guessed it. By the time the week was up, these positions felt totally natural.

This is my experience with the R1. I traded my standard bike (FZ1), and for the next few days was like "Damn, what a mistake." I persisted in riding in this aggressive position though, and now it's the R1's crouched riding position that feels comfortable. The more I ride, the more my ass and neck/shoulders turn to iron.
I've also made the mistake of taking a seven or eight hour ride after not riding for a couple of weeks:(
I think even a Hardley would kick your ass in this instance:yesnod

1 - 20 of 22 Posts