Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i took my friends 21 R1M for a ride and what a difference i felt from my 22 R1 which is very jerky and jumpy (stock suspension setup probably could use adjustment).

What would be the things to do to upgrade my suspension ? Dont really care for electronic suspension

Im 220lb fyi

Any/all help appreciated, would not mind upgrading the brakes as well .. lol

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,123 Posts
So i took my friends 21 R1M for a ride and what a difference i felt from my 22 R1 which is very jerky and jumpy (stock suspension setup probably could use adjustment).

What would be the things to do to upgrade my suspension ? Dont really care for electronic suspension

Im 220lb fyi

Any/all help appreciated, would not mind upgrading the brakes as well .. lol
Set your sag on stock and open the compression and rebound a couple of clicks and see if it feels better bud.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,123 Posts
diddo.

setup our suspension with a reputable guy. It makes a world of a difference. The stock settings are made for like 150lb rider. Usually it's not too much, $50-100 and they will spend a good 30-40 minutes with you measuring you up and setting things up.
The kyb units really aren't bad. Way more adjustment than I ever needed.

·
Venom X/O
26,691 Posts
The stock KYB forks are good, the stock shock has some left to be desired. You definitely don’t “need” electronic suspension, but you could change the springs to match your weight. Really the bike should feel soft and bouncy, not rigid. I’d look at where the suspension is set, maybe soften it up if it’s jerky, adjust compression. You gotta set it right and the bike will feel amazing

·
Registered
170 Posts
Stock suspension?
yes, KYB Stock Forks and Shock.

Before I got it adjusted properly, the front end felt very heavy and the rebound was non existing making the bike feel even more heavier between turns etc. Get it adjusted to your weight first, see how it feels before dumping a wack of money into an aftermarket setup.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I haven’t yet adjusted the suspension yet, but I checked the out of the box settings and the rear was 34 mm, probably a little too soft, and the front was 37, a little too stiff. The rear is probably fine but the front moved about 1mm from bike sag to rider sag. I’m hoping the front springs are not too stiff. I may need to lower the triple on the fork tubes to encourage some rider sag.

Does anyone have good street settings. I’ll adjust the rear to 30 and front to 40mm for starters and see what happens.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Checked the front and rear sag again and they were both at 38mm. Moved the front to 40 with two turns on each fork and moved rear to 35. It was a noticeable difference in ride, especially on the bumpy MI streets. Front definitely softer and turn in is a touch quicker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts