Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need help! I’m desperate now. I got a 2001 R1 and it starts and runs fine, but if the engine is at running temperature and I shut the engine off it will not restart. I end up having to wait for about 15 minutes and then it starts. Please help someone!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I just got the bike so I don’t know exactly when that was done. I’m actually doing the carbs now and after that I’ll do the whole tune up. I kept on looking for an answer to this problem and saw that the starter was most likely the problem. It may not be in great condition so when I try to start it it kind of “robs” power needed going into the spark plugs. I figured, since metal expands when hot, the starter no longer makes great contact (brushes) and that in turns draws more power and makes the spark plugs not have enough power to start the engine. So I’ll try to replace the starter and see what happens. Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had this same exact problem with my 07 R1 years ago. It would start fine when cold but after riding it wouldn't start until I let the engine cool. At the time I thought it was a semi-serious problem but it ended up just being the battery. I replaced the battery and haven't had any issues since. The battery didn't have enough juice to turn over the warm expanded engine components.

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
I had this same exact problem with my 07 R1 years ago. It would start fine when cold but after riding it wouldn't start until I let the engine cool. At the time I thought it was a semi-serious problem but it ended up just being the battery. I replaced the battery and haven't had any issues since. The battery didn't have enough juice to turn over the warm expanded engine components.
Start with the battery when you have a problem like this - check the voltage before you try to start it.
Exactly, take the following reading at the battery terminals and post them, we'll look and give you are opinion.

Voltage after sitting over night or at least a few hours (open circuit):
Voltage while starting the bike. The lowest measurement simulates a load test on the battery:
Voltage after running for a few minutes to see if you charging system is working properly:

Look forward to reviewing the measurements.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
cyclepsycho7
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing