Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was giving the bike a bit of maintanance and decided to replace the spring under the cover where the selector shaft goes into the engine, sometime ago this small tension spring broke and I replaced it with what I had available at the time. Anyway when I removed the cover (shown in the attached picture) there was a creamy paste all over the inside of the cover which immedinately made me suspect water contamination. On closer inspection I noticed a small droplet of water on the indside of the cover itself. I have since drained the sump oil and there was no water contamination in that. I checked the radiator level and it is full including the reservoir. I even removed the magneto cover to see if that had any of the water contamination but it also looked normal. Does anyone have any idea what could cause the oil in this cover to become contaminated with water? I was thinking I might have caught it at the very early stage and hence the small amount of contamination. On a short ride two nights ago my friend commented that when I opened it up down one straight it appeared to have moisture coming from the exhaust as though it were cold.... does this indicate a blown head gasket? if so why would only the oil under this selector shaft cover show contamination? weird... If anyone can offer any help I would be real greatful. Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wifes car has trace amounts of coolant in it, but I'd never know just by looking at it. You could get the oil tested (http://www.oaitesting.com/) see what you get back.

Did you use a nozzle on the hose, when you washed the bike?

Thanks for your reply, I have not actually washed the bike for ages. I just thought it was weird how contamination was so obvious under that cover while the rest of the motor didn't seem to have any water contamination. I agree it is possible the sup oil does have a small quantity and I am just unable to detect it there. I am not really sure what I should do next to be honest..... not good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.