Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Never fast enough
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story, but it boils down to I'm an idiot. Ive been on this website for a while but haven't done much posting. Now I could use your help.

The water pump outlet hose now has a puncture in it and is leaking coolant. I would like some help and guidance on replacing this part. Here are a few questions:

Do I have to drop the oil pan?
I am assuming the water pump is in the oil pan but does not need to come out, correct?
If not am I able to pull out the hose, replace the hose, and push it back in and it will seal (with new o rings) to the water pump?
I am pretty sure I need to drop the headers to get the water pump outlet house out, is this correct as well?

Thanks for any and all help.

· Never fast enough
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody have any ideas?

Has anyone had the oil pan off and can you see the water pump or the outlet hose going in? Is there any assistance out there with the water pump in general?

· Never fast enough
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Not the exact same motor but it is the same hose and set up as I am looking at. I need to replace #6 but just wanting to be sure that I don't need to pull the oil pan to get to the water pump. If I can just replace the o rings and push it back in (which I am pretty sure I can), then it is no big deal.

· Premium Member
12,690 Posts
Awesome! That's what I was hoping. Thanks a lot for your help. By the way, I have been following (but not posting) your build. Absolutely incredible! Jealous of your skill set and dedication.

Thanks again!
I have no skills. Everything I did was the first except soldering.

You were talking about this blue hose that's connect to the radiator right?

· Never fast enough
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no skills. Everything I did was the first except soldering.

You were talking about this blue hose that's connect to the radiator right?

No unfortunately that's not the hose I am referencing. The hose I am talking about is not visible in your picture. It is on the other side of the blue hose. It goes into the oil pan and connects to the water pump. I believe the hose I am referencing is made out of aluminum or some kind of metal rather than rubber like the hose you are referencing.

· Never fast enough
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe all you do is undo the bolt shown, which keeps it in place and it will just pull put.

Just use new O rings and the new one should push back in.
This is what I am hoping. I think I still need to pull the headers to get the hose out. Should I be replacing the head gasket since the bike only has 600 miles?

· Never fast enough
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update incase anyone else has this issue like I did.

Drained the oil, drained the coolant, popped off the headers, removed the hoses from the water pump outlet hose. Pulled the water pump outlet hose. No big deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.