Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
I NEED MY RAY-BANS
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone using wd40 on chain? is it good for the chain or is it no good? ive heard too much shit from the dealers..maybe they just wanna sell me there oil cans at $12 a shot.

·
aka `GoBabyGo`
1,139 Posts
I am no expert but the reason for chain lube is the fact that it is designed to stick to the chain.
If you have a Scott oiler it's deferent because it drops a little oil on the chain ever 30 seconds or so.
WD-40 would not stay on the chain long enough to provide sufficient lubrication.

·
L8R2U
21,459 Posts
I would use it to clean a chain and then wax it not by itself :thumbup

·
THEY CALLED ME SWEETNESS!!!!!!
6,538 Posts
I use WD-40 to clean the chain. After I clean it, I take the bike for a ten minute ride to get the chain nice and hot. After that, I spray the chain lightly with chain wax (Bel Ray) and let it sit for about an hour. Works like a charm.

If you don't want to spend the extra few bucks on chain specific oil or wax, you can always wipe the chain down with Yamalube motor oil..:fact

·
Stiffler Time Baby!
139 Posts
I also use it to clean my rims but not to lube the chain. You can dampen a rag with WD and wipe excessive lube off your chain.

I prefer to lube the chain after riding too, the lube seems to get down into the links better. I will wipe off the excess immediately though before it coagulates. Wiping off the chain will not wipe the lube out of the links which is where you want it to be anyway.

By wiping off the excess I find that less flys off onto my rim.

·
190 rear section heaven !
1,997 Posts
WD-40 stands for "water Dispersent 40th attempt"

(It took them 40 mixtures to get it right, Don't ask me how I know this)

Basically it expels water and then it itself evaporates and leaves a thin coating of oil....

Not good enough for Chain lubrication, only really good enough to degrease a chain as mentioned above...

Use a purpose made Chain Wax.....

:rock

·
can I score some pissssss
1,525 Posts
R1DER said:
WD-40 stands for "water Dispersent 40th attempt"

(It took them 40 mixtures to get it right, Don't ask me how I know this)

Basically it expels water and then it itself evaporates and leaves a thin coating of oil....

Not good enough for Chain lubrication, only really good enough to degrease a chain as mentioned above...

Use a purpose made Chain Wax.....

:rock
"them" being NASA dont ask me how I know this either...hehehe

·
Farkin' hero blobs!
1,272 Posts
As mentioned above;)

·
What are you, new?
669 Posts
I use Orange Cleaner (a house hold spray cleaner) to clean the chain and Bel Ray Super Clean for chain lube...

·
Registered
82 Posts
wd40

Do you guys realize that your chains are O-ring chains? They come prelubricated...WD40 is perfect for removing the grime, rust and dispersing water from the exterior. Your O-ring chain does not need wax or any other fancy lube. I race expert class at BIR and the vast majority of the racers use WD40 only. I use it on the street bike and my chain looks beautiful with no kinks at 15-20k....

Read the can.

·
Wolf exhaust bites
173 Posts
O-ring chains such as most of ours are designed to be sealed. The O-Ring keeps the lubricant inside the pivot and keeps the contaminants out. When you use anything too thin or under pressure, you can get past the o-rings. Thats not good.

SO, to clean the chain you can spray WD-40 on a rag and manually wipe the chain down, but the spray wax is just to keep the chain from rusting, not to actually lubricate it.

I agree with cleaning and running the bike to warm it before waxing to dry it off and help the wax spread nicely.

~~~~~ At least this is what I've learned from what I consider a great source..

·
clutch it up!!!
27,445 Posts
Re: wd40

pitbike said:
Do you guys realize that your chains are O-ring chains? They come prelubricated...WD40 is perfect for removing the grime, rust and dispersing water from the exterior. Your O-ring chain does not need wax or any other fancy lube. I race expert class at BIR and the vast majority of the racers use WD40 only. I use it on the street bike and my chain looks beautiful with no kinks at 15-20k....

Read the can.
:iamwithst

I use WD40 ALL THE TIME!

·
Forum Moderator
3,957 Posts
i dont use wd40.. simply because i think it attracts rust.. I use PB-Blaster... it's kinda like WD40.. but it's also used to keep O rings from falling apart.. Nothing will get inside the O ring. the thing you need to worry about.. is the O-ring breaking down on the outside and rust of the chain .. and nothing else.. Why would you need to wax an O ring :p

·
Wolf exhaust bites
173 Posts
Darkside said:
WD-40= Water Dispurtion #40 Doesn't attract rust.
I dont know what a 'Dispurtion' is, sounds kinda kinky:confused:
:D ;)

Im sorry, but it Does collect dirt/dust, just by the fact that it stays wet.

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
I use kerosene to clean the chain and Honda HP Pro chain lube
after a quick ride to warm up the chain. It does not fling off and
goes on like wax.

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
Re: wd40

pitbike said:

Read the can.
Yes we do!! and yes each link has a lubricant sealed inside via the O-rings! BUT first and foremost racing & street riding need and should be seperated in terms of application here!! secondly you have metal to metal contact which requires a lubricant, which WD-40 is not!! and no i don't care what the can says.

BD

1 - 20 of 65 Posts