Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Young at heart
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you guys know we rode across Aus to the GP at Phillip Island last weekend. We left on the Monday and rode 4 hard days to get there. We had 5 bikes, me on the R1. Ron on the yellow R1, Craig on a Fireblade, Dan on the Gixxer and Blade(real name ) on a triumph. Dan and Blade separated from us at the Island as they were staying at the track camp ground and doing a track day on the Wednesday following the race. Craig and me stayed at a caravan park near the track in a small room while Ron stayed in my tent.

We were intending to camp on the way across but the first night we hit a thunderstorm with hail and all so we stayed in a room as the camp ground was under water. We set off the next morning in heavy fog trying to see the kangaroos jumping around. We arrived at the island on Thursday night about 8 after doing a bit extra to cover the Great Ocean Road which was awesome. We hooked up with a load of day trippers out from Melbourne and it was like a road race. It was like km's without any bends. How someone didn't come off I don't know. Anyway we were pretty knackered when we got to the island after 3900km of hard riding.

The GP bikes were absolutely unbelievable. So fast like 326km/hr on the straight and incredible acceleration. And the noise, well they sound like a plane coming over just above you head. Rossi was a league above every one else. Just to watch him he is like he is on rails lap after lap. Race day turned out wet and I have never been so cold. We spent a few hours huddled in a disabled toilet block to stay out of the wind. It must have been about -35 deg I reckon. The weather cleared just in time for the GP race but we were still sloshing around in mud. The party atmosphere at the track and every night on the island was great.

We headed off home monday morning and got home Wednesday evening. We did 1400 km on tueday which was a long day. Came into a town in the dark with a dark visor on and roos every where.
Pretty scary.

The bikes all ran faultlessly except for my bike using 4 litres of oil over the trip. We experienced every kind of condition imaginable on the trip ffrom hail and rain to drizzle to very strong cross winds, extreme cold and back to hot weather again. All in all a fantastic experience but I don't know if I would do it again in a hurry. Craig and me work at the same minesite and we recieved a message just as we got to the island that the mine had suddenly shut down and we had no jobs to go back to so that put a bit of a dampener on things. I don't think I will be getting my 04 now either so will loose my deposit on that. There was a silver 04 at the expo and we walked past it every day on the way in and the way out dreaming. It's an awsome looking thing. Anyway enough rambling. I will try to post some pics which didn't turn as as good as I would have liked.

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
Sounds like an awesome time... Can't wait to see some of the pics...

- BA

·
Young at heart
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am having troubles with the pics so be patient. When I attatch one pic it is trying to send the whole file. Give me time:lol

·
Ride it, don't eat it...
176 Posts
Awesome trip Kirk. That is one long f-ing ride...Someday would love to get to the West side of Oz. Been diving on the Barrier Reef and that is one great country. Lovely girls, tons of backpackers to party with, etc.

Are you a WRC fan? Perth is the place to be to watch the Rally of Australia! You're lucky! We don't have any WRC rounds in the US...

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
Awesome trip. Get those pics up asap.

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
Awesome! Sounds like you had a blast!

Sorry to hear about the job thing, i know how that feels.

BUT it will get better!

And any good pics of the wonderful OZ Hotties can be emailed direct to me!!:crash

·
Young at heart
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'O2R1Pilot said:
Awesome trip Kirk. That is one long f-ing ride...Someday would love to get to the West side of Oz. Been diving on the Barrier Reef and that is one great country. Lovely girls, tons of backpackers to party with, etc.

Are you a WRC fan? Perth is the place to be to watch the Rally of Australia! You're lucky! We don't have any WRC rounds in the US...
Yes, we usually go every year down to one of the bush sections. You don't get to see too much though. Only the top ten or so cars are any good and they are gone after a short time. Still good to watch though. Those guys are the most skillfull drivers on earth with the things they can make a car do.

I am still trying to do the pics. It may be tomorrow as my son in law who is a computer guru is coming over to sort it out.

·
Young at heart
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am still working on this. It appears the pics are too big. Now I have to figure out how to resize them all. Does anyone know the max pic size allowed in x by x pixels?

·
Dis Microphone Explodes
3,064 Posts
great post! :)

i would love to watch all those guys rip around the track in person! must have been a great time. like everyone else, can't wait to see the pics...

·
Young at heart
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
biaggi said:
:confused: 4 litres - that's a typo right?
Nope. She drank every bit. I had Castrol GPS in it at the start of the trip and it used 1litre each of the first 2 days. Thats a litre per 1000 km. I topped it up with ordinary mineral oil and the consumption went down to another 2 litres over the next 5500km. So it seems she doesn't like oil with synthetic things in it. Another guy with an R1 also used a litre over the first day then seemed OK.

·
Young at heart
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry guys. I am giving up with the pics unless someone can tell me how I can get the pics down in size from 700kb to the 200 I am allowed to post. I can't see how we can't post what is the normal size from a camera. There must be a way. Mrlexo helped me with photoshop after I asked on the computer guru section but they are still too big and past the allowable limit. Thanks to him.:( :(

·
10,685 Posts
Kirk said:
Sorry guys. I am giving up with the pics unless someone can tell me how I can get the pics down in size from 700kb to the 200 I am allowed to post. I can't see how we can't post what is the normal size from a camera. There must be a way. Mrlexo helped me with photoshop after I asked on the computer guru section but they are still too big and past the allowable limit. Thanks to him.:( :(
e-mail them too me.
I'll resize and post em for ya!

ps, any NWS ones i'll just keep to myself!!:crash

[email protected]

If that doesn't work pm me and i'll give ya access to a website to put em on!

·
Young at heart
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
R1Budha said:
e-mail them too me.
I'll resize and post em for ya!

ps, any NWS ones i'll just keep to myself!!:crash

[email protected]

If that doesn't work pm me and i'll give ya access to a website to put em on!
I have about 30 pics. I will have to email 1 by 1 so I don't know if it is worth all the trouble. Does it wreck the quality to cut the resolution down by so much? No NWS I'm afraid. There was one bird on the way out on Saturday that gave us some entertainment but I was too slow with the camera before the cops came and dragged her off. Someone must have said show us your tits or something and she let rip with a full on floor show, showing much more than those. Magnificent. All part of the atmosphere.

·
10,685 Posts
if you want to post em on a site we could do that as well.
let me know and i can give you temp access using WinSCP program.

that way it's just the time for you to upload them.

btw, what form are they in?

JPEG. TIFF,?

·
Young at heart
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
R1Budha said:
if you want to post em on a site we could do that as well.
let me know and i can give you temp access using WinSCP program.

that way it's just the time for you to upload them.

btw, what form are they in?

JPEG. TIFF,?
They are JPEG. I don't follow you on the post them on A site thing. I am a bit computer dumb when it comes to anything complicated. If you can explain I may be able to do it myself. I tried using the photo things on Widows XP but when i reduced the size the kb size increased somehow.:confused: I am going back to work tomorrow so I may have a play on that computer and see if i have any joy there.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts