Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,291 Posts
Doing the plugs and cleaning the injectors is definitely a step in the tight direction. General maintenance like an oil change never hurts. Getting a tune might help as well. To me you problem sounds mechanical, but, I'm probably 1000 miles away looking at a video. That said, I don't think you could go wrong checking out your clutch. The perspective is free, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've always had a very similar roller coaster idle and I'm fairly certain it's due to gunk or blockages in my fuel system. My issue has been around for a very long time and recently has gotten much, much worse.

This weekend i'll be pulling the tank, airbox, and injectors and flushing everything out. Going to try and run all the fuel through it in the next couple days to minimize the amount of fuel I have to drain but I'm pulling fuel pump, filler cap, and evaluate the tank. If I can borrow my buddies sync tool I'll try and sync the carbs but I may not get access to that until next weekend. regardless, I can do everything else Sunday and see how it all shakes out. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
History
~16K - spark plugs changed
~23K (~130 miles ago) - valve adjustment done
~ throttle body sync
~filter

Bike has been been in a garage for about a year with random weekends of riding due to covid-19 and working from home. Not many miles were added so did not do an oil change.

Issue
Rode the bike to work, no issues. After work went to go home and this happened at start up.

Every time the rpm would jump up, I would feel something, like a knock on the bike. I ride it home. At lights it seemed like it wanted to stall so I would give it a slight gas. Then when going I would have to let go of the clutch slowly so it's not jerky. Once I'm going it's not too much of an issue it seems, I have all the power and all, with my limited commute. I get home, park it, make the video and it does not die like I thought it would at the lights. Next day after letting it sit, I start it up and the first 10 seconds or so it's fine, then it starts doing it again. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thank you in advance!
I have the exact same problem on my 02 R1. I'm changing the plugs, coils and checking air and fuel filters tomorrow. I will check back with the results.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have the exact same problem on my 02 R1. I'm changing the plugs, coils and checking air and fuel filters tomorrow. I will check back with the results.
Thank you. So I finally did my oil change and that made a huge difference, to the extent to maybe even fixing the issue all together. But I have to do some more riding to confirm that. The issue only really comes up I think when the temps get high (220°F). Again have not ridden it much since oil change so will update when I get some more riding in.

Yes, please let us know if those changes solve your issue!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
963 Posts
put more injector cleaner in fuel...chevy car dealer sells the really strong stuff... or add overdose of stp cleaner

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,291 Posts
Thank you. So I finally did my oil change and that made a huge difference, to the extent to maybe even fixing the issue all together. But I have to do some more riding to confirm that. The issue only really comes up I think when the temps get high (220°F). Again have not ridden it much since oil change so will update when I get some more riding in.

Yes, please let us know if those changes solve your issue!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
If an oil change masked it, I'd inspect the clutch pack and valve train for damage and I'd test my oil pump. I'd also check my crankshaft and con rod bearings for play. I'm paranoid though. So you do you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Probably fuel related. Bad gas maybe?
Someone smarter than I will be along to give advice
Thanks for the suggestions, sadly I don't have the tools and the knowledge to check all those so going to get it looked at by a shop. Once they figure out what it was I will update here.

Did you have any luck on yours?
I have exactly the same issue. It ain’t the gas being bad. I changed my fuel pump- not the issue, changed ECU- still doing it. I’m dropping it off for spark plugs & wires in a couple of days. It’s an 06 R1- runs great- and then heats up and starts stalling under 3000 rpm. It’s driving me mad. If I resolve it, I’ll let the forum know.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts