Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
No soup for you!
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all! I have a 2003 R1 with 20K+ miles on it.

When i start off slow, I always hear a clicking sound coming from the back wheel. After browsing through the threads here, I think the problem may be related to an old/rusty chain, that should be replaced.

My major issue is when I rip on the throttle in first gear, the bike responds normally, but when i roll off the throttle, It feels and sounds like a "ka-chunk" sound, as if the bike is trying to shift itself into second gear or something. This is noticeable with less frequency in second gear, and in no gears above that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
weapon of mass distruction
58 Posts
tried changing the gear shift height up or down slightly????
when i put mine too low it had a similar noise issue,

·
Paddy living in the bay area.
1 Posts
Sounds like you need to tighten/lube or replace you chain and sprockets. This used to happen on my first bike (1992 Bandit 250) on a larger displacement bike like the R1 I would keep an eye on the chain as if you do not maintain it correctly it could become loose enough to slap off the engine block and crack it (It happened to a mate of mine on a 1994 ZXR 750 needed a new engine).

Jason.

·
No soup for you!
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixed the problem!

The chain was damn near hanging off, and I ripped a tooth off the front sprocket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.