Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i started the bike after a week of bot using it. Started just fine no extra noise. I went to work using the bike and when i was parking in front kf the building i started to notice a weird rattling sound when i gas it. I worried so i went ahead and park the bike ASAP and just idle it for a few seconds and started throttling it, everytime i throttle a i hear a weird rattling sound ive never heard before but its normal when its idle, any of you guys have an idea what is it?

any help given is highly appreciated

bike is ‘13 with 19k miles

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slow throttle and when idle everything is normal but when i hard throttle it theres a rattling sound on the right side of the bike. I would try to upload a video when i get back to my house tonight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CCT for sure. My 2010 did this till I went graves manual cct
Im using this bike for weekend riding and sometimes commute but havent touch it this pandemic that much is there future problema that will occur if i ride it while it has a problem with cct?

·
Premium Member
11,803 Posts
Im using this bike for weekend riding and sometimes commute but havent touch it this pandemic that much is there future problema that will occur if i ride it while it has a problem with cct?
The CCT keeps tension on your timing chain for you can shafts and pistons. I’d get it squared away as soon as possible.

It’s a cheap fix compared to the issues it could cause. If you don’t feel comfortable installing it yourself, you could possibly throw timing off during install, then a reputable shop can do it for cheap. Only the timing cover needs to be removed for install with a replacement gasket for the CCT and timing cover.

This is cheap maintenance and you shouldn’t experience it again after replacement.

Still, I’d like for you to upload a video to be sure it’s the CCT.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The CCT keeps tension on your timing chain for you can shafts and pistons. I’d get it squared away as soon as possible.

It’s a cheap fix compared to the issues it could cause. If you don’t feel comfortable installing it yourself, you could possibly throw timing off during install, then a reputable shop can do it for cheap. Only the timing cover needs to be removed for install with a replacement gasket for the CCT and timing cover.

This is cheap maintenance and you shouldn’t experience it again after replacement.

Rattling noise
As you can hear the first 7 throttle theres a had gargle/rattle noise it was gone after the 7th throttle push, its usually much more loud when im on the roadin traffic or parking and just hard throttle it in neutral/clutch in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Youtube video
The few last throttles are much smoothr the first seven ones has that rattling noise on the start of the throttle hope this video is more helpful on identifying the problem

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah! CCT. Simple solution. Be sure to inspect the van chain guide during installation. Should be fine.

Get the Graves CCT.
graves is not available here in qatar specialy with this pandemic is it ok just to put a new oem? Anyways went to a mechanic the mechanic also wants to replace the timing chain and the two guides beside the timing chain is that necessary?

·
Premium Member
11,803 Posts
graves is not available here in qatar specialy with this pandemic is it ok just to put a new oem? Anyways went to a mechanic the mechanic also wants to replace the timing chain and the two guides beside the timing chain is that necessary?
OEM is fine.

How many miles on the bike? If you’re around 20,000 miles, go ahead and have the valve checked while replacing the guides.

Replacing the guides and the chain would based on inspection results. If the chain is in good condition, no need to replace it. Same for the guides.

Having the valves inspected and adjusted if need be will get you your moneys worth. There shouldn’t necessarily be an extra cost to inspect the timing chain and guides during a valve inspection.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OEM is fine.

How many miles on the bike? If you’re around 20,000 miles, go ahead and have the valve checked while replacing the guides.

Replacing the guides and the chain would based on inspection results. If the chain is in good condition, no need to replace it. Same for the guides.

Having the valves inspected and adjusted if need be will get you your moneys worth. There shouldn’t necessarily be an extra cost to inspect the timing chain and guides during a valve inspection.
id rather just replace the timing chain ang guides outright for peace of mind since its almost 20,000 miles. And yup ill go get my valves checked and adjusted if need be. Thanks again man. One more question i have no problem with the clutch but is doing a clutch mod (replacing the first friction plate Of my ‘13 with the 08 jitter/washer/friction plate an ok thing to do?)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes

The clutch mod, lithium battery, and Graves CCT were the first 3 mods I did to my bike.
Is it the clutch mod that u change the first plate of the 09-14 r1 with the seat plate, spring cushion and the first friction plate from the 08?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts