Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
WHY ?
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I need some help/advice in welding aluminium on an 04> subframe. I am doing a 04 tail conversion to my 02 r1 and need to cut back the top mounting lug and relocate it further along the subframe. My brother (a fabricator/welder ) says the fabrication is going to be quite easy and has already been done by another forum member

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150842

but with regards to welding the lug and other minor bits he thinks we should try lumiweld ( below ) or a similar product

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail....tID=33&frostCat=Welding&frostSubCat=&subCatID=

but I am unsure as to how strong this would actually be and if it would last.

The subframe is the last thing I want to break on me so I need to be sure it is going to hold

Any ideas lads

JAs

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
with good tig welder and guy that knows what hes doing. that stuff is cast aluminum and is major pain to weld.. just in my experience. its easy to mess up. and ur right, not somethiing u want breaking later down road. good luck with it

·
WHY ?
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my bro may take it into his work and weld it there. He works for eaton aerospace company welding titanium, I'm sure they use aluminium too so I might go down that route

JAs

·
WHY ?
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may do that later, If I can get this one to fit I can use it as a template later to build one out of ti. At the moment my bike is my only form of transport, be nice when I can work on it without having to need it to go places

JAs

·
WHY ?
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may do that later, If I can get this one to fit I can use it as a template later to build one out of ti. At the moment my bike is my only form of transport, be nice when I can work on it without having to need it to go places

JAs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.