Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Faster than a speeding ticket
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it happened. I tried to put the rear stand on and the bike tipped over. Fortunatly there was no fairing damage but theres a crack on my right side mirror stay bracket.

I don't really want to spend 150+ to buy a whole new stay.

If needed I'll take pics tommorow of the damage.

=(

·
On the road again...
100 Posts
Welding the upper stay bracket on a 2003 ?

Hi all,

sorry for spawning an old thread, but... I had a problem last week on my 2003:

And I was wondering if this part was weldable ? What is it made of (galvanized iron, steel, aluminum) ?

If so, anybody knows someplace around the Montreal area I could get this welded and strenghtened ? (I want to make it thougher than it would be buying an original one !)

Thanks !

·
On the road again...
100 Posts
!?

martinc said:
Damn,clean the poor thing...no wonder its cracking!
Hey, some ride, some pose... I did clean it once last year ;)

As for my upper stay, I can't believe nobody else had the same problem ?!?

Someone told me on their bike this part was in aluminum, so weldable, but how can I be sure ???

·
On the road again...
100 Posts
*** UPDATE ***

I tried, and a magnet does not stick to the upper stay... it does stick to the bolts&nuts; does that mean that my bolts&nuts are in stainless steel, but my upper stay is in aluminum ?

Does a magnet stick to galvanized iron ?
I don't think it is supposed to stick to aluminum...

Someone told me that if the crack is granulous is means that its cheap galvanized iron (not weldable) and that if it is smooth, like a thunderstruck, it means it it "good metal" (whatever that means)... and it is weldable.

Anyway, the crack looks like this:

Anybody has an opinion on wether it is weldable or not ?

·
My R1 gives me wood
348 Posts
Looks like aluminum to me. When you say
granulous i assume pourse (SP) meaning the metal has many little holes like you see in the pics. It can be welded (tig is probably the best) i think but its been a few years since i done that kinda work.
G/L

1 - 10 of 10 Posts