Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
16,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Chime in on your thoughts about Yamaha Development on the newer models. I am a die hard Yamaha man to the core. And the r1 has been/is a formidable track weapon. But my question is when do you think that yamaha will get in the game like Kaw, Honda and Suzuki. You know, messing with actvie traction control such as the new Honda and Kaw or different engine maps on the fly like Suzuki. I am by no means dogging our beloved R1's, but what do you all think it is. Do you think we will ever get more torque down lower like the others or will it always be more of a top end bike? Not trying to start a pissin contest or get flamed I would just like to read everyone's thoughts who cares to share.

·
Aces and Eights
3,829 Posts
For years Honda held the label for being the larger, slower bike, now they appear to be formidable. Suzuki reigned as the self proclaimed track king. Then Kawasaki made a huge move coming with the 10R. There will always be a power struggle. We have seen Yamaha try to cure some of the lower RPM power with the swich from the 24 valve engine. I believe change will always remain constant.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
For years Honda held the label for being the larger, slower bike, now they appear to be formidable. Suzuki reigned as the self proclaimed track king. Then Kawasaki made a huge move coming with the 10R. There will always be a power struggle. We have seen Yamaha try to cure some of the lower RPM power with the swich from the 24 valve engine. I believe change will always remain constant.

:stpd: i picked my team and im gonna ride it out!!!!:fork :fork :fork :fork :fork :fork :fork :fork :fork :fork :fork :fork

·
Ringer
326 Posts
I like the current R1 the way it is.

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
all that traction controll is :bs .and those different maps- if u cant controll a literbike then buy a 600.
liter should be raw power , like the old models were.

·
Super Moderator
21,723 Posts
I think it's the little perks Yamaha needs to pay attention too. The Kawi ZX-10R will be coming with a stock Ohlins damper and Advance Ignition Mgmt System {stock traction control}. The Honda 1000RR has had a electronic damper for a few years and now a stock quick shifter. Suzuki has been offering the rear cowling, adjustable rearsets and gear indicator all stock, plus the Gix 1K's adjustable maps will now be on the 600 and 750. I just hope Yamaha can keep the R1 competive {which I think they will} in '09 or there may be people jumping ship.

·
CURVE
2,417 Posts
I think it's the little perks Yamaha needs to pay attention too. The Kawi ZX-10R will be coming with a stock Ohlins damper and Advance Ignition Mgmt System {stock traction control}. The Honda 1000RR has had a electronic damper for a few years and now a stock quick shifter. Suzuki has been offering the rear cowling, adjustable rearsets and gear indicator all stock, plus the Gix 1K's adjustable maps will now be on the 600 and 750. I just hope Yamaha can keep the R1 competive {which I think they will} in '09 or there may be people jumping ship.
:stpd: they definitely have to step up the game as far as marketing goes.
i think they're finally coming around...they finally delivered a replica paint scheme (Fiat, Santander).

it would be nice to have a stock ohlins steering damper in 09'. but i wouldn't jump ship if they didn't deliver. the issue with the R1's lack of power in the lowend is not an issue for me. can you tell me why the R1 always comes out on top of the track laptime sheets in magazine bike-shootouts? i haven't heard one complaint from a pro racer or even moto-journalist. they always say the same thing...the bike inspires confidence.

what i would like...is for yamaha to build a bike that doesn't have so many issues in the first year of their new models. kinda annoying waiting for a tps replacement or ecu.

·
R1 Addiction
16,591 Posts

:iamwithst...the little upgrades coming with a stock R1 would be a great thing. :fact

·
Registered
256 Posts
they say the 08 cbr has an ignition interupter when upshifting. so technically it's the first stock quick shifter on a bike. That sounded pretty cool. but that's about it on the cbr.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't know why everyone is so brand loyal. Brand loyalty stalls development. If, instead, buyers always bought the best product, regardless of brand, design development and competition would be feverish and we'd soon be riding MotoGP replicas. If you want Yamaha to build a better R1, go buy a ZX, CBR, or GSXR!

·
Drink Sparks, Die Young.
1,728 Posts
Suzuki's adjustable mapping is a gimmick and traction control will probably never happen in a meaningful way on a commercial bike.

And another thing--if the ZX-10R DIDN'T have an Ohlins damper on there stock, it would be tankslapper king. There's a reason why PB found the 07 R1 the fastest around the ring.

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
When does the first shootout hit the stands? Feb, March?

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts

·
Sportin Pimp Glasses
2,406 Posts
I think that Yamaha will have to step up their game. They have a great bike in the R1 and it would be nice to see a few freebies and improvements. If the previous model changes have been an indication though, Yamaha may not do anything for the 09 model. Then in 2010 they will come out with a new bike that will be more advanced than any of the others.(God I hope that's true)

·
Banned
83 Posts
Suzuki's adjustable mapping is a gimmick and traction control will probably never happen in a meaningful way on a commercial bike.

And another thing--if the ZX-10R DIDN'T have an Ohlins damper on there stock, it would be tankslapper king. There's a reason why PB found the 07 R1 the fastest around the ring.
Clearly NOT a gimmick as Suzuki offers an ECU where traction settings are adjustable and programmable. The new ZX actually monitors wheel spin! How is that NOT meaningful?:butt

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.