Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
R1 parking only
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all you dedicated Yamaha riders, lend me your ears :)

I have some mix feelings concerning the new 2002 R1.
First, exactly what is going on at the Yamaha camp? Do these people read magazines (Sport Rider, Motorcyclist, Cycle world and so on) or watch the Speed Vision where they test new bikes such as "BIKE WEEK"? After reading and watching test results on the new Suzi 1000(BOTY by the way)and after carefully analysis of the bike, I'm thinking, Yamaha will not stand for this, the new 2002 R1 is going to be a serious bike kicking some ass and retaking the crown as the ultimate big liter bike. Than I awake from my dream drenched in sweat finding it's not true. I open the Sport Rider (December issue) page 22, and see a headline stating "New 2002 R1, lighter, stronger, sharper-the R1 gets serious" I see a new sharper bike but after reading the article, I came to conclusion that the new R1 is no threat to Mr. almighty suzuki 1000. The power is not there! It is further refined for smoother, lighter, sharper handling but nothing els. And, "WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE IN THE HELL IS THE RAM AIR!!!!!!!
In the same magazine, Suzi claims the BOTY title and walk away smiling. The reason for R1 bringing home the second place ribbon? "POWER" "If R1 only had more power" said the editor...
I own a 2001 R1 with 3500 miles on it. Serious 3500 miles mind you, from the race track and the highway moronic rides with yes, Mr. Suzuki, and the 9Rs, the 929s and various other followers. Yamaha is up there in handling, smoothness but loses every time the darn Suzuki opens up the throttle. My bike has Devil carbon fiber high mount pipe and everything else is bone stock. The other contender the Suzuki? Bone stock!
I believe that horse power alone will not win the race (given that the riders are = in their experience department) but along with power you have to have "REFINEMENTS" and that is handling, lightness, smooth delivery of power, chassis, and the looks which R1 has. Only if it had a little more power. Yamaha has plenty of room for improvement but not enough to dethrone the Suzuki. So what is Yamaha waiting for, till we end up in the back of the line? enough said! Anyone else out there with similar thoughts?

MADYAMA
:mad:

·
www.cycleposers.com
654 Posts
, I came to conclusion that the new R1 is no threat to Mr. almighty suzuki 1000. The power is not there!

I own a 2001 R1 with 3500 miles on it. Serious 3500 miles mind you, from the race track and the highway moronic rides with yes, Mr. Suzuki, and the 9Rs, the 929s and various other followers. Yamaha is up there in handling, smoothness but loses every time the darn Suzuki opens up the throttle

- You own a 2001 Yamaha r1? If you wanted more power why didnt you get a 2001 suzuki gsxr1000?

Personally i dont pick one brand over another for the sake of brands. I just didnt like the look of the gsxr1000's, the R1 felt more comfortable with me in it. The new 2002 R1 looks amazing, i regret buying a 2001, when the 2002's are really some of the better looking bikes to get. I like the silver one

Somewhere the twisties, someone on a R1 is being passed by a guy on a gsxr1000, the same guy on the gsxr1000 is being passed by a triumph tiger carrying a passenger and luggage.

I looked up lap times for Summit point racetrack in WV, the best time is with a guy in a gsxr750, second is a r1, and then third is a gsxr1000.

Cheers
Ricardo

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,667 Posts
You can speculate all you want but we really have to wait until they're all tested together. After all, a 998R will beat both the suzuki and the R1 round a track and it has more weight and less hp than both. It's all about the total package.

·
Jai-ya
336 Posts
02 R1

Hell, on looks alone the 02 R1 stomps the GSXR! Remember, it's all in your riding ability. There's lots of guys on GSXRs in NoCal. Most of them are posers. I leave them in the twisties on my F4. Can't wait to dust them on my 02 R1 this spring...:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
'02 R1

This weekend I will be purchasing either Suzi-1K or R1. Let me first state that I very much prefer the looks of the R1 but also need to have plenty of oumph!!!.

My last bike was a '96 ZX9R with a good deal of motor work...and as a result I hurt quite a few guys feelings. Anyway, I've been off the seen for a couple of years now and need to return with something potent because many of these seem guys are eagerly awaiting my return.
I'm not the best rider out there so as a result I need a bike that is going to compensate (If I race it is almost always 1/4 ml or roll-ons). In any event, if I go with Suzi, I will duplicate the efforts of Yoshimura (Cycle World - Feb. '02 - page 55) which should put me up around 168 rear wheel ponies. But I would really prefer the R1, for there is non more sexy than she. So could you guys tell me where I can borrow some ponies for the R1 if I go for her?

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Cool&Ddly

·
www.cycleposers.com
654 Posts
I had the oppurtunity of buying any bike i wanted, the r1 is the bike i picked :) . I will hold on to this bike until it hits 100k mles, then i will reconsider everything again.

There was a test between a 2000 r1, zx9r, gsxr1000 and 929rr. The r1 came out first place.

There was a test between the r1 and 996, the r1 came out first in every aspect. Of course with new machines coming out, who will know what will happen.

I really think that good riding has to do with the person instead of the bike. If someone wanted to insult a guy on a gsxr1000 or Hayabusa, get a dirt bike and pass them in the turns, and let them overtake you in the straights.

Ricardo

·
Grip it and rip it!
662 Posts
My opinion is this. You need to buy a bike that please's the loin area, is a pleasure to look at, and doesn't break the bank.

The 01 R1 power is "enough" for me 97% of the time. I don't need a bike I have to be Toooooo careful of twisting the throttle. A GP bike off of the track? Nice thought, but are you friggin kidding me...Don't need it!

I LOVE the looks of the R1. It is beautiful! The 02 body work took a few minutes of staring at to appreciate, but I like it better then the 01....Which is not ugly either by any stretch of the imagination!

998...I just don't like the Ducks! The tube frame? How about a nice aluminum frame? It looks dated...The fasteners on the body look "cute", but have you seen a Duck with some miles on it? The vibration has jostled the fasteners so much it wears on the body work? WTF???? An $18,000 bike???? Breaks the bank, then the heart when the looks fade!

Any twin...TL1000R, Aprillia, RC-51, ect...Sound great, but lacking HP...Great in the curves (better accelerators by viewing the torque curves), but are beatable on straits...Less aftermarket parts...Costly...Except the TL1000R since it hasn't been updated since 1998, and yes, the 02's rear seat still is prone to come off at speed because they haven't fixed the thing since 98. Probably last year making it. But twins are generally better bikes, because the meat of the HP and torque are where most riders spend their time!!!

The Gixxer 1000? No way! Cool hp and torque, but I could give a crap. The bike looks like the 600, which looks like the 750, which looks like the 1000, which looks like the TL1000R (if you buy the blue/white)! Yeah, buddies might pull away, but you need someone to be the radar detector in a group ride! Eat a little crow, learn to ride better, and watch him get the tickets!!!

·
www.cycleposers.com
654 Posts
Roverdog, i totally agree with your assessment of the Gsxr1000. Its too Blah, looks too much like the rest. Yamaha did a good job in the looks department, i could have picked any bike i wanted. But i really didnt want to mess with ducati valves. I did like how the rc51 looks, and i thought about that. The 929rr is good, but its dated now.

The 02 yamaha r1 looks great, i love the silver. People who get these be careful, silver is one of the harder colors to see on the road. But it looks good.

Ricardo
www.pileofgarbage.com

·
Ride or die.
581 Posts
I went with the R1 simply because it was the best looking bike. I always remember what the guy that taught me how to ride said. It isn't the bike it is the person on it. I ride with a guy on a Suzuki 750 with minor work and I say this man run down and suck up Busa's and anything else you can think of. There are very few riders that need that extra 10-20 hp. I will put my R1 against any Suzuki that comes my way. I usually only see him in my mirrors for a few seconds and then he is a speck in my mirror.:machinegu Just another victim.

·
Grip it and rip it!
662 Posts
Nice website...I really like the chick!

I didn't mean to go off about the other bikes, but it just pisses me off when people write off an excellent bike just because of horsepower, torque, and top speed! It's not all about HP. You can't drive around all the time at 180 MPH except in some parts of Texas, Montana, Navada, get my drift.

All the sportbikes are limited speed wise unless you bypass/powercommander/ect the lawyer limited antisuicide devices. 3-5 HP increase...Enough? I don't know...Enough for me, because I'm buying one. I can guarantee you the Ram Air will probably occur next year. I'll regret it, but whoop de doo! If you don't bite off, you'll never eat!

The R1 with fuel injection is going to be the bomb. The CV injection/carbs they used should help the abrupt off throttle you get with the 929, BMW, ect...This bike should be really smooth...Smooth is generally faster on the track/road than gerky! People will learn one day! Just pull old videos of Rainey, Swantz, and Doohan; Smooth (take notes)!

Agree, the silver looks more grey = can't see in the dark...Silver is cool, but I like the looks of the blue also. I saw a picture of an R1 on www.motorcyclenews.com (search R1) of an all red R1...Now that looks sweet, but I think they canned the all red...Shame! Anway, buy what makes you happy...That's the key! And don't let sport tourers lead you astray...I bought this in 99:

·
Grip it and rip it!
662 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.