Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
My R1 eats You
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening fellas,

What are you guys wearing for boots? Once I get my bike inspected I'll be taking it north into the mountains of Okinawa( what mountains are here lol ) and I was thinking about gear . I've always worn cheap boots but when I owned my last bike I came really close to getting scrambled on the highway and watched another biker eat pavement. I would love some used Sidi boots as I hear they are awesome and quite pricey as well. If it's worth the money I'll buy some but first I would appreciate any feed back from whatever boots you guys are wearing on your feet . Some info on me first , I'm 6 foot 200lbs . Foot size 10.5-11 U.S. Legs are Alittle more bent on my R1 than I prefer so boots with flexible ankles would be a given.
Just looking for feedback but if anyone is selling some decent boots I might be interested. I'm not short on cash either just looking for decent boots/ info

-Schmeck

·
Cabin Fever!
253 Posts
Ive always used SIDI boots myself. I got a used pair of SIDI cobra's off the wera classifieds and previous to those I had ST air's. but now 3 years or so later my soles are about shot so I am considering grabbing a set of SIDI mag 1's

·
My R1 eats You
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive always used SIDI boots myself. I got a used pair of SIDI cobra's off the wera classifieds and previous to those I had ST air's. but now 3 years or so later my soles are about shot so I am considering grabbing a set of SIDI mag 1's
I was looking at the Mag 1's and the Roarrs. I really like the added ankle protection on the roarr but am still looking around lol

·
The Doctor's Assistant
694 Posts
Nothing can touch the Sidi Vortices, nothing, except Daytonas which are roughly double the price. I had a serious crash last year and I was fully geared up, the only thing that survived were my Vortices, I had to replace two parts and it was a piece of cake took 2 minutes.
5 years now and still going strong I'm never getting (hopefully will never need to) another boot.

The Mag1s are newer than the Vortices and lighter but still don't offer the same level of protection or the part replace-ability of the Vortices. Don't forget when your soles get eaten up you can again replace them as there are replacement soles for the Vortices. The tighteners also allow for a somewhat customizable fit, so if you are wearing a half European size larger for example, you can just tighten a little more for a snug fit. Sounds like I sell them but I am a 5 year owner who stands by the products that stand by him.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The other thing to bear in mind is fit. There is quite a difference between the brands.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

·
My R1 eats You
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing can touch the Sidi Vortices, nothing, except Daytonas which are roughly double the price. I had a serious crash last year and I was fully geared up, the only thing that survived were my Vortices, I had to replace two parts and it was a piece of cake took 2 minutes.
5 years now and still going strong I'm never getting (hopefully will never need to) another boot.

The Mag1s are newer than the Vortices and lighter but still don't offer the same level of protection or the part replace-ability of the Vortices. Don't forget when your soles get eaten up you can again replace them as there are replacement soles for the Vortices. The tighteners also allow for a somewhat customizable fit, so if you are wearing a half European size larger for example, you can just tighten a little more for a snug fit. Sounds like I sell them but I am a 5 year owner who stands by the products that stand by him.
I might get some Vortices next year when I head back home to the states but for now I picked up some used but damn clean Sidi Vertebra boots black/white that a friend of mine recommended. Basically said if you can find an untouched pair it would be worth it. I found a decent pair that only needs new toe sliders. Paid 100 bucks . I believe it was a good deal. Bottom tred is still clean with no road marks lol

·
Super Moderator
23,878 Posts
I have an old set of Sidi Vertigos that I'd be willing to sell... they are size 46, might be a bit big for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have sidi fusions, cheapest ones they have and ive been really happy. They're magic because I can feel cool air coming in when its hot out but keep my feet warm in the cold. I've ridden in 3°C with them and didn't lose any toes on the highway.

Not made for hiking, feet will start hurting after 20 min, comfortable on the bike all day. Sole grip not great when wet. Still worth it.

Figure out your EUR shoe size . I'm 44 eu and 10.5 us but us size always varies, cant be trusted. Ordered 44 online they fit great.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
But thats for anyone shopping for lowsst end entry boots. Once you get a pair, the crazy expensive ones seem totally worth it when you upgrade

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
But thats for anyone shopping for lowsst end entry boots. Once you get a pair, the crazy expensive ones seem totally worth it when you upgrade

Especially if you crash and don't need an ankle reconstruction and months of rehab.

·
My R1 eats You
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Especially if you crash and don't need an ankle reconstruction and months of rehab.

Idk about the reconstruction and rehab but I sprained both ankles same time landing from a 20foot jump :jump with tennis shoes on a crf250. Lesson learned :hammer: Couldn't even put the kickstand down :no

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
I have a pair of sidi ST air. the one thing that bugs me about them are the screws in the heal scratch my rearsets.
also they do not make half sizes. so boots like the st without the extra adjustment system (vortice and mag 1) may feel too loose if you buy the next size up. I tried on a 10..too small. 11...too big. I put a pair of Dr. Sholls inserts in them and it took up the extra room perfectly for me. however I think it blocks some of the airflow from the sole. but it doesn't matter at the whole boot is perforated.

and my favorite thing about sidi is you can replace just about everything on them. some you can even replace part of the soles. (vortice)

don't worry about being able to move your foot. road boots are made so you can move it plenty enough to shift and brake. but boots like the vortice, st and mag 1 prevent the boot from being able to move beyond the point of no return as Dr.s call it. so these boots limit the movement at a point but you will not have trouble using them while riding or walking. these types of boots are the only kind I recommend. I had a pair of the vertibra boots and my ankle got sprained and broken pretty badly. because this boot doesn't have the ankle braces like the ST, Vortice, and Mag 1. you don't want your ankles to move side to side. you also need it limited front to back. the brace systems of those 3 boots are the best kind.
don't be like me and wish you had them when you crash and get a broken ankle. mine got broken in 2004 and it still hurts every day. some days I can barely walk without pain meds. (when it's going to rain) so I only buy the boots with ankle braces from now on.

·
My R1 eats You
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a pair of sidi ST air. the one thing that bugs me about them are the screws in the heal scratch my rearsets.
also they do not make half sizes. so boots like the st without the extra adjustment system (vortice and mag 1) may feel too loose if you buy the next size up. I tried on a 10..too small. 11...too big. I put a pair of Dr. Sholls inserts in them and it took up the extra room perfectly for me. however I think it blocks some of the airflow from the sole. but it doesn't matter at the whole boot is perforated.

and my favorite thing about sidi is you can replace just about everything on them. some you can even replace part of the soles. (vortice)

don't worry about being able to move your foot. road boots are made so you can move it plenty enough to shift and brake. but boots like the vortice, st and mag 1 prevent the boot from being able to move beyond the point of no return as Dr.s call it. so these boots limit the movement at a point but you will not have trouble using them while riding or walking. these types of boots are the only kind I recommend. I had a pair of the vertibra boots and my ankle got sprained and broken pretty badly. because this boot doesn't have the ankle braces like the ST, Vortice, and Mag 1. you don't want your ankles to move side to side. you also need it limited front to back. the brace systems of those 3 boots are the best kind.
don't be like me and wish you had them when you crash and get a broken ankle. mine got broken in 2004 and it still hurts every day. some days I can barely walk without pain meds. (when it's going to rain) so I only buy the boots with ankle braces from now on.
Yeah I was reading about that but decided to go with a friends referral to the Vertebra. I think when me and my wife Pcs back to the states I will look at a pair of mag 1s. I might even be able to try some on at a local shop in the states because here in Okinawa They dont wear Sidi boots at all. All Alpinestar Smx and Simpson stuff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts