Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
R-Pun
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what did i do wrong with tire change?(pic added)

hey guys, i have a quick question, i took my rear tire off to bring it to the dealer to replace it. When i mounted the tire back on, it took my like 10 minutes to mount the axle back through the rim and the rear brake holder. Finally when i got the bolt on, i noticed the rear tire barely spins when it is in neutral. You gotta yank on it really hard to make it move like an inch. The chain slack is still the same, It feels like the rear brake is partially on. When you turn the bike on, the tire spins when you put it in first gear while on the stand, but as soon as you put it back in neutral, it comes to a dead stop, did i do something wrong here? Please get back to me quickly before i have a breakdown... :) Thank you..

Distressed R1 owner in Canada.

·
Mustang Hater!
9,444 Posts
Hmm, usually my rear tire will spin fairly freely. Are you sure you have the brake disc between the two pads (and not with the two pads on one side, and the pistons directly against the disc on the other side)? Did put all the tubes back inside the wheel for the axle to sit on? Did you get the blocks that the axle goes through oriented properly (otherwise, the axle would be at an angle, which would cause lots of binding between the chain and sprocket)?

·
R-Pun
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i haven't fully tightened the bolt all the way yet, There is still likely another 1 1/2 turns left to tighten it. But i gotta figure out why it won't spin before i tighten it down all the way.

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
14,328 Posts
stupid question did you loob the axle. second thing i would probalby take the caliver back off and compress it and slide it back on and see if that helps

·
yield
17,823 Posts
Tolerances are pretty tight in there... Take apart and re-install, be patient.

·
ccs#191
1,070 Posts
Maybe forgot orf lost the spacer between the wheel and cush drive .Other thing tighten it down and see what happens , once torqued it should seat the rubber in the cush drive.

·
Registered
121 Posts
wierd as this may seem...but on my bike we put the wheel in the wrong direction and it didnt spin freely. Turned it around and TA DA....spinners!!!

·
D= V x T
1,247 Posts
vrooomr6 said:
Make sure your rear brake mount is sitting in there straight.
Every time I put the rear wheel back on, its a bitch to make sure that mount is lined up straight inside the swingarm!

I agree, check how you lined up the caliper into the swingarm; there is a notched out area that the caliper fits into to help hold it in place

·
Getting Back
1,177 Posts
Last time i put my rear tire back on, it would barely spin too. The rim and tire were going in the right direction, but I put the spacers on the wrong side. I took the wheel off, reversed the 2 spacers, and............... Perfection.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
hockeyfan5180 said:
Last time i put my rear tire back on, it would barely spin too. The rim and tire were going in the right direction, but I put the spacers on the wrong side. I took the wheel off, reversed the 2 spacers, and............... Perfection.
Finally someone gives the right answer.

·
R-Pun
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
which spacers are you talking about, the aluminum square things on the outsides of the swingarm, or are you talking abou the round (metal/rubber spacers) dustcaps or whatever they are that are on the actual wheels themselves.. Please let me know, so i can check it tommorow, thanks.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
droptopgt said:
which spacers are you talking about, the aluminum square things on the outsides of the swingarm, or are you talking abou the round (metal/rubber spacers) dustcaps or whatever they are that are on the actual wheels themselves.. Please let me know, so i can check it tommorow, thanks.
Yes that is correct...the 2 metal/rubber dust caps/spacers are side specific. I don't remmeber which side gets the thicker spacer but it happend to me once...just switch them around and you should be all good.

·
Layer-3
1,962 Posts
Either a spacer or a bearing issue...

When I take my rims to the trackside vendor I always remove both dust covers, bearing, spacers, etc...

FWIW, nothing on the 2004 R1 is side specific :) Glad they changed that..

·
what tha?
10 Posts
jayce320 said:
wierd as this may seem...but on my bike we put the wheel in the wrong direction and it didnt spin freely. Turned it around and TA DA....spinners!!!
maybe if you're talking about the front tire, but there is no way you can put the rear tire on backwards. Check to see if you put the spacer back in between the cush drive and sprocket set. Make sure the brake caliper is lined up and that the disk is in between the pads. It can't be anything more than those little problems.

·
Will stoppie for coyotes
495 Posts
dextasy said:
maybe if you're talking about the front tire, but there is no way you can put the rear tire on backwards. Check to see if you put the spacer back in between the cush drive and sprocket set. Make sure the brake caliper is lined up and that the disk is in between the pads. It can't be anything more than those little problems.
Yah, I was thinking that it didn't spin because he had the chain going through the spokes to get it around the sprocket...:confused:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts