Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone do for a living? I work for Verizon. And no I do not do anything with telephones! I work with the Commonwealth of PA's WAN (Wide-area network) and support the Internet platform for the northeastern US. Basically I configure and maintain routers and switches. :D

·
988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
Cool can You boost My net connection ?? I work for Ford Motor Company. I build parts for the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Lincoln Towncar. Its a stamping Plant.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
I own an auto repair shop so I get to see Champions work:D

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
I'm a systems analyst/support tech. Mainly dealing with software and middleware. I used to be a veterinary technician, so occasionally I put on the scrubs again and pull a shift as a "stand in" for someone who is out sick or on vacation. :)

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
Hey, Tom25! That doesn't sound geeky At ALL!! If it weren't for guys like you then we would be losing so many more people to cancer than we already are. LOOK at the amount of people who are surviving cancers that were deemed terminal just a few years ago! You HAVE to have the scientist to START the chain to get to the pharmaceutical company and on the line to the patient.
I bet there aren't too many people who can say at one point there lives haven't been touched by cancer in some way.
Your job isn't geeky.
Its way cool. :) :) :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Kathleen, Thanks for the support. It is just that on forums like this where you deal with mostly a young crowd into very cool things, having a job like this makes you seem like an old, stuffy scientist geek. I love my job because there is a very real chance that what I do could affect the lives of so many. I am actually a young guy into all sorts of adrenaline filled sports. I skydive as often as I can, rock climbing is one of my passions, and of course my R1. Any free time that I have I'm on the bike, carving up the twisties. Anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
480 Posts
When it comes to skydiving, Let me tell you. If you are thinking about it, then do it. There is no greater rush. The first time you go will be the scariest. When the door to the plane opens and you have to step out onto the platform and the wind hits you, that is when you really feel free. The free fall is the best. I could take or leave the parachute ride. It is sort of peaceful, but I would rather be falling.

·
Really?
208 Posts
I´d take the parachute ride every time. It´d kinda kill you if you didn´t, right? On the other hand, I think I´ll stay in the plane until it´s back on the ground.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Of course I'll take the parachute ride, I want to live. Everyone is afraid of the chute not opening, but really there is nothing to fear. Your main chute is packed a certain way. It is designed to open and it is packed to do just that. If it does not, you have your reserve. This chute is packed very differently. It sometimes takes an hour to pack this one. The way it is packed, there is very little chance that it won't open. You almost never see someone die because both chutes didn't open. Don't forget that fear is what provides a big part of the rush.

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
I do know what you mean, Tom. About being on forums with a much younger crowd! It doesn't matter what you do, really. You are still pretty much screwed either way. I found that out after getting into it with a 15 year old girl on a forum who had an attitude of a komodo dragon/warthog!
I got my B.A.S. and went into animal sciences and then computers. So I am geekier! :D And I DON'T skydive! I am like Mattias1. Stay IN the plane till its ON the ground. And even then hold on to the person sitting next to me till we come to a complete stop and the seatbelt light goes off.
LtdR1Ryder, I bet you WOULD have the guts to skydive. Something just tells me you would.
I like rock climbing and have done a little, but hiking is more my thing. Here in KY there isn't alot of rock climbing to do unless you want to go the inside route.

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
Things are bad all over, Swedie. There have been a ton of lay offs here in the states.
Don't worry. It'll get better. You'll get a job and get that new bike. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, you would think if someone is crazy enough to go 150+mph on a motorycle they would jump out of a plane!

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
Go jump! Then take pictures as you fall so I can see what it looks like. That way I don't have to risk my life or sanity, but I can get the experience of what skydiving is like! :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts